mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5275/restarterror.png

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4210/restarterror2.png

so so far ive noticed this twice, once when i woke up yesterday morning it gave me the computer had been restarted error, then again just a minute ago while i was in the shower. hasn't happen while ive been on the computer. both times my cpu has been on complete stock settings, i have a i7 860, msi p55 gd80 motherboard, g skill eco ram, corsair hx850 psu, asus 4850 gpu.

alot of the errors in the picture are from getting bsod's from overclocking i believe, however ive never used more then 1.32v vcore. also every few days i will get a display error popup then it goes away for a few days.

quiete frankly im a bit worried seeing as how i have no way of knowing whats causing it.

i did run a memtest86+ and passed 7 scans with 0 errors on my ram yesterday. i have just a couple days left of being able to rma my motherboard to newegg if you think its the culprit.

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well, it can also be the power supply, check under Computer management / Eventviewer under application and system for errors...

But by the looks of your situation, its between the Motherboard and the power supply that might be faulty.

(1) Try running Prime 95 blend test for 2hrs. I find that Prime 95 finds mem errors better than memtest86.

(2) Use a program like CPUID HWMonitor to monitor temps and voltages. It Provides current, min and max values. Download and run Furmark and note temps and Minimum Voltages +12 V should not drop below +11.4 (Spec, I reject at 11.6V). Furmark, depending on GPU, will normally load the +12 V more than prime 95.

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

second picture was included to show temps / voltages. i have no problem running prime95 / linx for 4hrs+

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

if it was power supply id expect to get bsods when stress testing or playing games, but its happening when im idle.

Should have looked at your 2nd image.
(1) I think that the +5 and the +12 V are incorrect reporting. +5 shows 5.75 V, Max for +5 is 5.25. +12 V is way below spec, Computer would not start/operate. Might try a diff program (ie did MB come with a utility to monitor Voltages). Myself I always use a DVM to initially verify software voltages.

(2) If you have a "spike" in the +12/+5 V, the computer might just shut down with out the BSOD. Need to see diff in primarily the +12 V when going from Idle to Load. Say that under load your +12 V was at 11.6 V (no BSOD) then you get a spike down to 11.2 V, possible shutdown with no bsod.

HWMonitor incorrectly reports my +12 V, But in my case the correct value shows up under -12V as a neg voltage. Gigabyte P55-UD4P MB - Correct values are shown in Easytune 6, health

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

when i got on and started to reply to your message this afternoon it actually happened infront of me. it was a bsod and said something about memory dump or dumping something. just paranoid all this random shutting down will damage my harddrives. do you think my motherboard should be rma'd? asking because im running out of days that i would beable to rma it.

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
ok so i setup a rma threw newegg for a replacement, and have 7 days to use the prepaid label. im going to reformat my computer just to insure its not drivers.

any other ideas let me know. or if it really sounds like a psu i will contact corsair. dont think its ram since im able to memtest with 0 errors and stress test with 0 errors.

so i can only think of drivers, motherboard, gpu.

picture of it under load, http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3429/loade.png

You still can not rule out PSU (Corsair is a great one) as speedfan is either also a false reading (+10.65) or you infact have a bad PSU.

Does your Bios under Health show the +12 V, or does it just say "OK". Remember, if it shows a voltage, it is for Idle< OR LESS than normal Idle. In this case, if you have no software program that you can trust, then you only have two options to rule it out - (1) Try a known good PSU, or (2) Use a voltmeter and check the voltage at a Molex connector Blk to Red for +5 and Blk to orange (or yellow) for the +12V

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
maybe found one possible reason for the bsod.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2505/systemo.png

if you see where it says "system", well i had two other harddrives hooked up for storage, and one of them said "system" and my os harddrive didnt. not sure what that means but i knew only os harddrive should say it. so i just unplugged them, not sure how to fix the problem, without formatting and wouldnt look forward to that since my backup external harddrive is a usb harddrive and theres 1.2tb of files to replace.

i have untill wednsday to send my motherboard to newegg, so if i recieve another random bsod i will rma that. if it happens again after a new motherboard ill rma my power supply. i just formatted windows 7, so hopfully nothing needs to be rma'd.

edit: just went to bios to check voltages.
3.3v says 3.328
5v says 5.087
12v says 12.056

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

before the format, only my storage hdd had system not os.

you think failed overclocking attempts could had corrupted my os?

what would you do next? anyway to cancel out anymore parts without trying secondary parts?

Yes Failed OCs can corrupt a HDD. Any time a System shuts down during a write cycle on the HDD, the HDD can be corrupted. The impact all depends on what file is being written to. Also if OC produces memory errors, the pointer to where data is written to can cause the data to be written anywhare. - This type error can even cause a file that is ment to be written to the HDD to be written to the Bios - rare but possible.

Taking stock:
Pretty much ruled out PSU. Only possibility is Voltage dropping under load, But Idle voltage good, and your PSU is one of the "Highly" recommended PSU.
Memory - You've run Prime95 for several Hours, correct (maybe let it run at least 4 Hours.
HDD - reformatted and reloaded OS
Leaves GPU and MB, Hard to say which, without swapping GPU and if that does not help then high % it's the MB.

Might want to Select "Default, or optimized Bios" to rule out some bios induced problem. Just make sure that some that need to be changed are changed back such as Ram Voltage, and boot order/HDD controller.

Maybe someone lse can chime in and Pick-up on pointers that I've missed

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

bios has been set to optimized minus turning turbo mode, ram to correct voltage and setting boot order for just about the whole time its been happening. ive reset cmos, the other day and still bsod.

but hasnt bsod yet after the format so im praying that its good now, hard to trial and error when i only have one computer no extra parts and hate rmaing. going to the beach tonight, should be back sunday so ill try running my computer from sunday till wednesday to make sure its in correct working order, if it bsod's in that time frame then i will just rma the motherboard since newegg already gave me a shipping label.

however about gpu, i have gotten quiet a few display error pop ups.. its rare but it does happen.

thanks alot for your help, really appreciate it, if it bsods again i will post back. take care.

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
been few weeks since ive posted. ive had computer on just about the whole time. have not had a problem untill tonight.

after the format it seemed to have fixed it, but tonight when i decided to restart for the first time since all the bsod's, it bsod i think.

i hit shut down and left the room to use the bathroom, came back and it was just now turning off. was strange because i left the room a few minutes before, then when it loaed it said windows was not properly shutdown and asked me what i wanted to do. so i selected start windows normally, then when i got to desktop it said windows shutdown unexpected or something? gave error code and said bluescreen.