Upgrading an old laptop from win95 to win98.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 17, 2004 7:52:32 AM

Hi, Guys,
I'm pretty new at this computer lark so go easy on me, please.
I have an old Toshiba Tecra 720CDT running Win95 that I need to
upgrade to Win98 to run specific software that won't work on Win95.
I do not have any Toshiba back up disks for the drivers or other
Toshiba utilities although they are all installed on the laptop.
What I need to know is, can I just copy all the drivers etc to floppy
disk, format the hard drive, do a clean install of Win98 and then
reload the drivers and utilities from the floppies I created?
Also, if I format the hard drive, will the CD still work to load Win98
OR would I be better off to just put a Win98 CD in the drive and
overwrite Win95 without formatting the hard drive?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Steve
August 17, 2004 12:57:43 PM

On 17 Aug 2004 03:52:32 -0700, i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk (Steve)
wrote:

>Hi, Guys,
>I'm pretty new at this computer lark so go easy on me, please.
>I have an old Toshiba Tecra 720CDT running Win95 that I need to
>upgrade to Win98 to run specific software that won't work on Win95.
>I do not have any Toshiba back up disks for the drivers or other
>Toshiba utilities although they are all installed on the laptop.
>What I need to know is, can I just copy all the drivers etc to floppy
>disk, format the hard drive, do a clean install of Win98 and then
>reload the drivers and utilities from the floppies I created?
>Also, if I format the hard drive, will the CD still work to load Win98
>OR would I be better off to just put a Win98 CD in the drive and
>overwrite Win95 without formatting the hard drive?
>Many thanks in advance for any advice.
>Steve

Steve,

I don't know which method is best, but I re-formatted and installed
Win 98 from a CD when I converted to Win 98 on my old Thinkpad 365XD
(120 MHz Pentium II). I didn't even save any drivers from the old
Win95 installation, and it seems to work fine, other than expecting to
find an IR port which doesn't exist.

Charlie Hoffpauir
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
August 17, 2004 3:10:22 PM

Toshiba probably has the drivers you need for download as does IBM have the
drivers for the 365XD.

Charlie <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 17 Aug 2004 03:52:32 -0700, i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk (Steve)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi, Guys,
> >I'm pretty new at this computer lark so go easy on me, please.
> >I have an old Toshiba Tecra 720CDT running Win95 that I need to
> >upgrade to Win98 to run specific software that won't work on Win95.
> >I do not have any Toshiba back up disks for the drivers or other
> >Toshiba utilities although they are all installed on the laptop.
> >What I need to know is, can I just copy all the drivers etc to floppy
> >disk, format the hard drive, do a clean install of Win98 and then
> >reload the drivers and utilities from the floppies I created?
> >Also, if I format the hard drive, will the CD still work to load Win98
> >OR would I be better off to just put a Win98 CD in the drive and
> >overwrite Win95 without formatting the hard drive?
> >Many thanks in advance for any advice.
> >Steve
>
> Steve,
>
> I don't know which method is best, but I re-formatted and installed
> Win 98 from a CD when I converted to Win 98 on my old Thinkpad 365XD
> (120 MHz Pentium II). I didn't even save any drivers from the old
> Win95 installation, and it seems to work fine, other than expecting to
> find an IR port which doesn't exist.
>
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
August 17, 2004 8:34:48 PM

It is very important that you use Windows 98SE and not 1st Edition.

You need to go to the Toshiba web site and download all of the drivers
for that model and Windows 98. If there are no Windows 98 drivers, you
can try Windows 95 drivers, but they probably won't work.

Steps:

1. Booting from a floppy made with Windows 98SE, clear, repartition and
reformat the hard drive
2. Booting from a floppy made with Windows 98SE, make the hard drive
bootable to a C:\ prompt with CD-ROM support.
3. Create a folder on the hard drive C:\DOS and put the contents of the
"Windows\Command" folder from a Windows 98SE system into that folder
(these are just the MS-DOS command prompt utilities, in particular
XCOPY, but you might as well get them all, they take almost no space).
4. Use XCOPY to copy the \Win98 folder of a Windows 98SE CD to a new
folder, C:\Win98, on the hard drive. This is about 100 MB.
5. Run setup from the C:\Win98 folder that you just created. The
actual CD won't be needed.
6. After Windows 98 is installed and running, install Toshiba drivers
as needed and appropriate.
7. If space is extremely critical, you can now erase the C:\Win98
folder, however, it is STRONGLY recommended that you leave it in place
if at all possible. It is the registered "installation source", and by
having it on the hard drive, you can avoid ever having to re-insert the
actual Windows CD when you add drivers (printers, modems or network
cards, for example) or change the system configuration. If asked for
the CD, point it to C:\Win98 instead.

Steve wrote:
> Hi, Guys,
> I'm pretty new at this computer lark so go easy on me, please.
> I have an old Toshiba Tecra 720CDT running Win95 that I need to
> upgrade to Win98 to run specific software that won't work on Win95.
> I do not have any Toshiba back up disks for the drivers or other
> Toshiba utilities although they are all installed on the laptop.
> What I need to know is, can I just copy all the drivers etc to floppy
> disk, format the hard drive, do a clean install of Win98 and then
> reload the drivers and utilities from the floppies I created?
> Also, if I format the hard drive, will the CD still work to load Win98
> OR would I be better off to just put a Win98 CD in the drive and
> overwrite Win95 without formatting the hard drive?
> Many thanks in advance for any advice.
> Steve
August 17, 2004 9:27:20 PM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
: It is very important that you use Windows 98SE and not 1st Edition.

Why, out of curiosity? I used Win98 1st Edition for a long time and
found it worked fairly well.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
August 17, 2004 9:27:21 PM

It is very important that you use Win98SE!!

Oh, Bugger. The Win98 disk I was going to use is the first release.
Can you go into more detail as to why it has to be the SE version?

Many thanks for the info.
Steve
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
August 18, 2004 12:49:45 AM

wrote:

>Hi, Guys,
>I'm pretty new at this computer lark so go easy on me, please.
>I have an old Toshiba Tecra 720CDT running Win95 that I need to
>upgrade to Win98 to run specific software that won't work on Win95.
>I do not have any Toshiba back up disks for the drivers or other
>Toshiba utilities although they are all installed on the laptop.
>What I need to know is, can I just copy all the drivers etc to floppy
>disk, format the hard drive, do a clean install of Win98 and then
>reload the drivers and utilities from the floppies I created?
>Also, if I format the hard drive, will the CD still work to load Win98
>OR would I be better off to just put a Win98 CD in the drive and
>overwrite Win95 without formatting the hard drive?

You can get the drivers off of toshiba's website. I don't think
there'd be any way to get them off of a running system. As to whether
or not that cd-drive is bootable, I doubt it. Make a '98 boot disk
and see if the cd-rom works; if it does you don't need to boot off the
cd.
August 18, 2004 3:46:20 AM

Steve <i_hate_gardening@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
: It is very important that you use Win98SE!!

: Oh, Bugger. The Win98 disk I was going to use is the first release.
: Can you go into more detail as to why it has to be the SE version?

Not sure. I used Win98FE for several years without major headaches,
though this was on a desktop and not a laptop machine. Yeah, FE
crashes now and then, but it depends how you use it. Perhaps SE has
better power management?

You will want to upgrade to Internet Explorer 5.x or 6.x though as
soon as you can, because you'll need that to do Windows Update. You
want to do Windows Update after the install to get the latest patches,
etc.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

The INTERNAL differences between 98 1st edition and 98SE are huge, far
more than in generally understood. In particular, 98SE uses "WDM"
drivers, while 98 1st edition does not. There are a LOT of hardware
devices that will work with 98SE that don't work (at all) with 98 1st
edition. Usually, they are listed as working only with ME and later,
but actually the ME drivers work with 98SE but not with 98 1st edition,
only the mfgrs. don't want to try and explain to people that it works
with on version of 98 and not the other, so they just say that 98 is not
supported at all. A very good example (granted that it only applies to
desktops) is several models of the ATI All-in-Wonder video card. It was
stated that the entire reason for the upgrade was hardware that was
supported by 98 but not 95. Well, if you are going to upgrade to get
wider hardware support, there's no point in putting yourself back into a
very similar hole down the road. There are more and more devices that
fall into this category, as no one is developing non-WDM drivers any more.

[It's NOT a reliability issue, however.]

Andrew wrote:

> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> : It is very important that you use Windows 98SE and not 1st Edition.
>
> Why, out of curiosity? I used Win98 1st Edition for a long time and
> found it worked fairly well.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

August 18, 2004 11:07:17 AM

[...]

If the OP has obtained a Win98FE CD already, why not give installation
a try? If the hardware is old, there are probably decent Win98FE
drivers for it; the defaults that come on the installation CD may
suffice. I certainly have a video card, a network card, a sound card,
a modem card, a USB add-on card, and a motherboard that all work fine
under Win98FE.

But if given a choice to purchase Win98FE or Win98SE, obviously SE is
the way to go.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

hi,
before you format and install run belarc advisor available at
belarc.com . it will list the hardware and software on your laptop .
you can check for drivers for 98 for any hardware listed . if you
decide to go with se make sure your laptop does not have power
management issues . some older ibm laptops actually have problems
with se .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
August 20, 2004 12:52:58 PM

Update.....
I formatted the drive and started from scratch with a win98SE disk.
I had to download a win98SE start up disk from the web before I did
the formatting but it has all loaded up OK.
It looks to be all working fine.
Thanks guys.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
August 21, 2004 8:35:01 AM

You don't need a windows 98 startup disk, all that you need is any dos
disk with CD-ROM and FAT32 support.

Steve wrote:
> Update.....
> I formatted the drive and started from scratch with a win98SE disk.
> I had to download a win98SE start up disk from the web before I did
> the formatting but it has all loaded up OK.
> It looks to be all working fine.
> Thanks guys.
August 21, 2004 11:30:56 AM

You may be right about that but I figured that if I need a disk to
jump start the laptop from the "A" drive, it may as well be the right
one.

!