Force LAN drive connect before desktop comes up?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I have 2 WinXP/SP2 machines which use data from a common network drive. Can
I config WinXP to reconnected the drives earlier at boot time?

Both machines are configured to reconnect the network drive at logon, yet I
have seen evidence that the drives are reconnected fairly late in the boot
process.

The most obvious result of this is that wallpaper located in the network
drive is not applied at boot time. That is, the desktop is shown - minus
wallpaper - before the network drive is available. The same wallpaper
image file, which is not automatically loaded at boot time, can be loaded
manually once the desktop is available to the user.

So... can I get the network drive to be connected earlier?

Thanks.

--
Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Try disabling Windows XP's fast logon feature - See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305293

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Spam Averse" <sgalton@galtonhelm.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 WinXP/SP2 machines which use data from a common network drive.
Can
> I config WinXP to reconnected the drives earlier at boot time?
>
> Both machines are configured to reconnect the network drive at logon, yet
> have seen evidence that the drives are reconnected fairly late in the boot
> process.
>
> The most obvious result of this is that wallpaper located in the network
> drive is not applied at boot time. That is, the desktop is shown - minus
> wallpaper - before the network drive is available. The same wallpaper
> image file, which is not automatically loaded at boot time, can be loaded
> manually once the desktop is available to the user.
>
> So... can I get the network drive to be connected earlier?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

That fixed it.

Thanks, Doug.