Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(Solved) VGA Specs - How do I know if I got what I paid for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2010 5:14:39 PM

Hello, recently I got a XfX 9600GTX (yup) and turns out it was capped, instead of 256 bit I got a 128 bit and the PC only recognizes it as a 9800 GT. I don't know if this was already posted here but my question is, how do I know if my HD Radeon card really is what the box says it is? The ATI catalyst program only lets me see so much as RAM and other things, but not the bit info and some other in depth info. I don't remember how I checked for the Nvidia 9600 GTX one but I think it was a NVIDIA specific program.

More about : solved vga specs paid

Best solution

February 8, 2010 5:20:00 PM

O.k so you bought a nvidia card, you returned that and got an ati card yes?

I personally have never heard of a 9600gtx and if so, the 9800gt will most likely be better.

Anyway, download gpu-z. it will tell you what info you need to know. Also, you must be buying from a real shady place if they are lying about specs.
February 8, 2010 5:41:47 PM

lol, sorry about the very confusing post.

I have on this PC a HD Radeon 4850, but I did buy a XfX GTX9600 as well, not for me though. What I meant is that I found out about these capped cards through the GTX 9600 which you said yourself, have never heard of. It's a XfX variation, and although XfX's own website states it has 256, it doesn't. They also manufacture 9800 GTs that have 128bits and are overall worse than regular 8600GSOs. But this one states it has 256, like regular 9600GTs. I don't know if the XfX company is at fault or the store I got it at.

Since I had this experience I was wondering now if my own video card is really what I paid for. Thanks for the tip I'll try using GPU-z.

And about shady places, I live in Brazil, so it's the sad reality.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 8, 2010 6:00:17 PM

Great app, it is 256 bit and everything else seems fine, thanks :) 
m
l
February 8, 2010 9:05:47 PM

There are no 8600GSO's.
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:47:16 AM

There is no 9600GTX either. I think this is confusing. I am casting my confusing vote here.
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:54:19 AM

9600GTX is a XFX only card, and is recognized as a 9800 GT by the system. Most people don't know about it because only XFX manufactures it. The 8600 was probably 8800 GS, I don't remember right now.

Link to XFX website listing the card:

http://www.xfxforce.com/pt-br/products/graphiccards/9se...

m
l
February 9, 2010 12:54:24 AM

I'm casting my "OMGWTFBBQ" vote.
m
l
February 16, 2010 9:26:02 PM

Best answer selected by Xelael.
m
l
April 17, 2010 12:47:41 PM

These xfx only cards cause a lot if confusion. They claim to be stuff they arent
and are probably made from the left over parts, then hyped to get rid of them.
Nvidia dont list a reference 9600gtx, only gt, gso, posibly a gs.
the gso's with turbo cache function are being hyped up as gtx's by xfx, and as the guy said, his pc saw it mearly as a 98gt.
perfectly adequate card, but if you look on Ebay, some Joker is Ripping the Heart out of the gamers community by selling these cards listed at £200 !
or £180, sometimes if he has too much stock.
A 9600 gpu chip's limitations wont be expanded drastically. if at all. by
adding extra memory over 512, and as for the idea of it using system ram as well as 1.5gig of onboard? pathetic. the card has 1.5 gig onboard but its ddr2. too slow. yet more slow ram access isnt going to help at all.
So, Kids, STAY AWAY FROM 9600GTX, COS IT WILL DISAPOINT YOU!
DONT BUY ANYTHING WITH 'TURBO CACHE' COS ITS PROBABLY OVERPRICED RE CYCLED OLD PARTS AND DONT BUY FROM ANYONE WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE MODIFIED THE CARD THEMSELVES! its not possible to turn a gso into a gtx.
If it was, nvidia would go bust.
thanks for reading.
m
l
!