Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu overclocking limits

Last response: in Overclocking
November 26, 2012 12:45:26 AM

Is overheating the only thing to worry about when overclocking? Can i keep increasing the voltage as long as i have sufficient cooling to keep it under 60ish under load? Is it the same for gpus? i have a 3570k if relevant.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 1:29:13 AM

No. You need to watch voltage too.

I have not yet overclocked on ivy bridge, but from what I have read, I don't think I would go far over 1.25v. 1.3v would be my absolute max, for even the shortest of moments between C states and such.

If you were to put 3 volts to your CPU, the amount of cooling your have wouldn't matter. It would die like a gazillion tiny fuses blowing at once.
m
l
November 26, 2012 5:30:13 AM

i saw a 3770k clocked at 7.0ghz with 1.9v what besides cooling allows them to achieve this? I know its not practical beyond competitions but still. I just want to understand.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 9:49:15 AM

Cooling is what allows them to do that, sure.

I would love to see how long the chip lasts at 1.9 volts though.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 10:05:26 AM

Basically, the biggest factor is cooling when running an i7 at 1.9v. What also comes into effect is how well the processor was manufactured. Not all cpu's are created equal and most have some sort of tiny, tiny flaw that won't ever surface unless the cpu is taxed/oc'd too much.

The more voltage you add, the sooner your cpu simply burns itself out. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, the smaller the architecture, the less voltage you can safely run through the circuits. 1.5v was a good ceiling for running Sandy Bridge. 1.25-1.35v seems to be the general consensus for running an Ivy Bridge cpu.

Edit: Have you seen those videos of people overclocking the newest AMD cpu's? They're using liquid nitrogen. Achieving such a high speed requires insane cooling techniques.
November 26, 2012 4:42:25 PM

Best answer selected by isoprovophlex.
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:44:12 PM

I now have a firm grasp on the concept thanks. Tomshardware should run for president against dubstep and parkour.
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:55:37 PM

as was said, not all processors will overclock or handle voltage the same. in smaller nm processes, electron leakage becomes more of an issue, this is where upping the voltage too much could fry your cpu. being undercooled wont fry the cpy, lilely. it will, more often cause a safety shutdown of the system.
m
l
!