Need the cooler to bench test Mobo?

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for looking in,
First assembly. I have most of my parts and want to bench test the MOBO before installing into case. Must I install the heatsink fan to check boot ?

I did not see why I would need the fan, for a quick system boot to check to see if the Mobo or the CPU is DOA....
Thanks
Netcommercial

Solution
G

thats understandable but it really isn't to difficult to do a few things. and you may not have to remove the cpu/heatsink to put it in the case. it may even help move it around to line up the hole for the stand offs.

this is for troubleshooting but it is a good guide to use for a check list and avoid any "over sights"...
G

tried to see if i could get away if "testing" my Q6600 w/o a heatsink. by the time i saw the computer post, it turned into a $225 paper weight.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Wow Ok then, not interested in a 225 paper weight. and I guess I will bolt up my Cooler master and assume and hope for the best (It boots). I am almost certain the Asrock extreme 6 z77 has on board video. I do not need to install my stand alone GPU do I? Just trying to cut as many steps as I can before tying the Mobo into the case....

G

thats understandable but it really isn't to difficult to do a few things. and you may not have to remove the cpu/heatsink to put it in the case. it may even help move it around to line up the hole for the stand offs.

this is for troubleshooting but it is a good guide to use for a check list and avoid any "over sights":
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Solution

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Great link looniam-- I guess I should install all when bread boarding then remove if need be to attach to case. I was trying to cut to many corners on the bread boarding. I will follow that check list and see how it goes. The only thing I am bit foggy on is the cases pwr, reset, and hdd led plugs that stab into the MOBO although it does not matter if I stab them in backwards. I merely only need to switch them. However the board is poorly marked for a newby.

IE:
There are a row of 2 pinned header. along that header there is a + sign and either pwr or reset or hdd led next to it like this:

pwr Hddled
+ +
: : : :
+
Reset

The diagram is crude via my keyboard, however notice the +signs and the 2 pin row.
Does that mean that is the power side of the reset button cable or wire AND that is the row I am to stab into for the reset, pwr, Hddled wire or cable?

EDIT- The crude diagram won't stay aligned it is supposed to be pwr, reset and hddled on separate pins

G

the + sign is the postive, which would be the colored wire, then unmarked is the negative, usually white wire. you can't screwed it up because the PWR and the RSET just makes a connection to turn on or reset the computer.

PWR | HED
+ - | + -
+ - | + -
RSET | (whatever)

ignore the | line, used that to seperated the two different +/- sets.

G

well rudeboy!:eek:
keep it up and imma gonna get a pair of scissors and cut your yo-yo string!

j/k

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

The MANUEL!! LOL! Buddy I have read that skinny rag a few times and have been to the website. That area is skimmed over and not clear at all. I read A LOT!! Trust me when I tell you that if I ask a question it is because I have exhausted my avenues.
I will see if I can locate the power button on the MOBO, however I think it is a BIOS button. First build over here and it sure would be nice to use the buttons on the front of the case don't you think? Hence me asking about the firing order..Which BTW you did not address. Instead you gave me an alternative. Albeit I have to leave my case open to access the "button."

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

OK so the + sign is the 'hot' side and the +sign also marks where or what is what. Thank you.

G

you're welcome.

and pay no mind to the muffin, he is the smartest 14 y/o i know . . . maybe that means i know only dumb kids. :lol: