Need help deciding parts for Core i7-860 build

keshev

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hey guys, im new here but have lurked these forums for ages. I finally made an account and am posting because I really need help deciding on parts for my new i7-860 build!. BTW im from Canada and 920s arnt cheap here T_T

First of all I cant upgrade to the 920 :(. I got the 860 from my brother for cheap and can't afford to get a 920.

Parts I wont need are monitor, keyboard/mouse, case, powersupply. CPU

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sooner the better but willing to wait for couple weeks if needed.

BUDGET = 700 but Im flexible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Homework, Gaming, Browsing, Movies, Burning bluerays (if i get a burner)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Parts I wont need are monitor, keyboard/mouse, case, powersupply. CPU ( Powersupply is 650 watt corsair)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: From Canada and I would like to use new egg or buy locally.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferance

OVERCLOCKING: Only if i am using a very easy "click this button to overclock" on the stock cooler.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: , 1680x1050 right now but WILL be upgrading to better later.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quieter the better and would like it to be very stable. Also I would like it to be future proof for atleast 2
years

Ok so here is what I have in mind right now

Cpu: Core i7 860 = $250

Motherboard: I AM really torn on this one! I really dont know what to get. Some say the gigabyte p55 ones are annoying because if I get the usb3.0 ones they throttle my vid card speeds. I heard Asus is really good here and I can use usb 3.0 and my vid card properly? is this true?

I dont really need usb 3.0 and the new sata I just like the future proofing option. But I most probably will run crossfire right now or near future.

I will NOT be overclocking unless I use the asus built in software to click and overclock or the 860s turbo mode.

My budget for a motherboard is $200 although ideally it will be around 140.

Right now my top choice is the Asus p7p55d pro?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025677&cid=MBD.842

Is this good or can I get cheaper for better? or similar for cheaper. I dont mind a small reduction in performance for a decent price reduction

Hard drive: After much reading on these forums I have decided to get the Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 1 tb drive over the samsung spin point because I can't find the samsung locally.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021907&cid=HDD.443.877

Ram: Going with this just because I dont know better so please feel free to post a better recommendation
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=026157&cid=RAM.346.539

Video card: I am currently using a radeon hd 4830 and was thinking of buying another 4830 or 4850 and crossfiring.

I am doing this because I cannot afford the 5850 which I would like right now and will wait till Fermi comes out and the 5850 to drop in price (maybe :p)

Can I crossfire two 4830s on a 600 or 650 watt powersupply?

Although I prefer to buy things locally PLEASE feel free to link me newegg pages for your recommendations.

Thanks again guys for any help!! its really appreciated!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The motherboard is fine, stick with it.

The Power Supply you have should handle Crossfire no problem at all, so no need to worry about that. For now, i would wait until Fermi comes out, especially since you are playing games @ 1680 x 1050, That will give you time to get a better monitor, and hopefully the prices of the 5850 have dropped by then.

As for the hard drive, see if you can fina a WD Caviar Black 1TB model for cheaper than the Seagate, you'll thank me.

G-Skill Ripjaws would have been my suggestion, so stick with it.