Upgradeable Motherboard

petme

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
My old comp finally called it quits so I need to build another.

One mistake I made last time was that I didn't get a motherboard where I could upgrade the CPU.

This time I want to buy a motherboard where I can install a lower end CPU, lower end meaning still recent but not top of the line CPU, and upgrade it to something better in a couple of years. Also, I'm indifferent between AMD or Intel, i just want a very good motherboard ^^.

Any suggestions?

scrice

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
if possible wait till AM3+ socket (i think) comes out, get a mid range am3 socket cpu like a phenom x4 965/x6 1055 and then later upgrade to one of the new bulldozer chips
as from what iv heard am3+ will be backwards compatable, but am3 wont be able to use bulldozer.
either that or get a i7 930 (socket 1366) and then (hopefully) chip prices will drop with sandy bridge and buy a 980x. if you want current mobo recommendations ill write some later if no1 else does. i going sleep now :)

tecmo34

Administrator
Your best bet is to wait like scrice said. With the coming release of AM3+ and Intel Chips (SandyBridge/LGA 1155 & Patsburg/LGA 2011) coming out later this year (or Q1 of 2011), it makes the most sense to wait a little longer, if you can. Otherwise, you will be basically building off of sockets that have started their E.O.L. cycle.

petme

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
While the idea you two have mentioned is exactly what I want I don't think I can go without a compter till AMD gets their dozer out the door. What would be your suggestions for something now?

What will the PC be used for today? In the future?

Gaming, cpu intensive apps, or just general web browsing and e-mail?

What price range are you willing to start at?

For gaming, the likely upgrade will be the graphics card, or the addition of a second one. ... not the cpu.

petme

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Going to use it for gaming mostly. however i'd like the option to upgrade the cpu.