Sign in with
Your question

Upgradeable Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2010 3:07:56 PM

My old comp finally called it quits so I need to build another.

One mistake I made last time was that I didn't get a motherboard where I could upgrade the CPU.

This time I want to buy a motherboard where I can install a lower end CPU, lower end meaning still recent but not top of the line CPU, and upgrade it to something better in a couple of years. Also, I'm indifferent between AMD or Intel, i just want a very good motherboard ^^.

Any suggestions?

September 29, 2010 3:31:43 PM

if possible wait till AM3+ socket (i think) comes out, get a mid range am3 socket cpu like a phenom x4 965/x6 1055 and then later upgrade to one of the new bulldozer chips
as from what iv heard am3+ will be backwards compatable, but am3 wont be able to use bulldozer.
either that or get a i7 930 (socket 1366) and then (hopefully) chip prices will drop with sandy bridge and buy a 980x. if you want current mobo recommendations ill write some later if no1 else does. i going sleep now :) 
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 78 à CPUs
September 29, 2010 3:50:22 PM

Your best bet is to wait like scrice said. With the coming release of AM3+ and Intel Chips (SandyBridge/LGA 1155 & Patsburg/LGA 2011) coming out later this year (or Q1 of 2011), it makes the most sense to wait a little longer, if you can. Otherwise, you will be basically building off of sockets that have started their E.O.L. cycle.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2010 9:41:42 PM

While the idea you two have mentioned is exactly what I want I don't think I can go without a compter till AMD gets their dozer out the door. What would be your suggestions for something now?
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 78 à CPUs
September 29, 2010 10:19:44 PM

If you can't wait, I would go with a AM3 890GX motherboard and an Athlon II X3 440. Later on upgrade to the Phenom II X6 1090T when hex-cores are better utilized.
m
l
a c 243 V Motherboard
a c 315 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 2:52:47 AM

petme said:
My old comp finally called it quits so I need to build another.

One mistake I made last time was that I didn't get a motherboard where I could upgrade the CPU.

This time I want to buy a motherboard where I can install a lower end CPU, lower end meaning still recent but not top of the line CPU, and upgrade it to something better in a couple of years. Also, I'm indifferent between AMD or Intel, i just want a very good motherboard ^^.

Any suggestions?

What will the PC be used for today? In the future?

Gaming, cpu intensive apps, or just general web browsing and e-mail?

What price range are you willing to start at?

For gaming, the likely upgrade will be the graphics card, or the addition of a second one. ... not the cpu.

m
l
September 30, 2010 2:47:07 PM

geofelt said:
What will the PC be used for today? In the future?

Gaming, cpu intensive apps, or just general web browsing and e-mail?

What price range are you willing to start at?

For gaming, the likely upgrade will be the graphics card, or the addition of a second one. ... not the cpu.

Going to use it for gaming mostly. however i'd like the option to upgrade the cpu.
m
l
!