Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Athlon II x3 435

Last response: in Overclocking
November 26, 2012 4:55:40 AM

I'm fairly new to overclocking and have been reading a lot online via Tom's Hardware and other related sites. Currently I have an MSI NF 980-G65 motherboard and an AMD Athlon II x3 435 CPU. I'm curious as to what the next step is from here...

I recently adjusted my FSB from 200(stock) to 240, kept my CPU Ratio at x14.5, lowered NB and HT Link to x8, lowered DRAM to 1:2.66, and kept my voltage at auto. I didn't run Prime95 for hours like everyone else does but when reaching 240 FSB freq, I had run it for a few minutes and I received the BSOD with a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message. I'm not sure exactly what that means but one website I found was saying that it could be due to overheating. However, my system seems to stay very cool. I've never reached 35C even on a full load. Where do I go from here?

I'm still very confused with the memory timings in the BIOS as there are so many sub menus to adjust. Also, I wanted to see if I could unlock the 4th core as I know others have done the same. When changing NVCC to auto or all core/per core it doesn't POST. Nothing else was changed in that test as I wasn't sure exactly which voltages(if any) should be changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : athlon 435

Best solution

a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 5:25:12 AM

Were you still overclocked when you tried to unlock? try it at 2.9GHz if no joy then thats why your chip was locked off, I have two of them in my house, both unlock solid and clock, one at 3.2, the other at 3.5GHz,
for your ram, look on the sticker on the stick, it should give you the voltage and timings, 9,9,9,24,34 or similar, manually set the first six settings to those numbers and make sure the command rate is 2T
put your Nb and HT back to normal, if thats low, your ram can't talk to the chip as fast, possibly the reason behind your irq error (I think Irq's are mostly ram related)
depending on your voltages auto setting you will need more voltage to power an overclock, some chips do well on a small increase, others want masses, whatever your case is, do not, NOT exceed 1.55v, I like to keep Amd's below 1.5v if possible
and keep monitoring the temps, 55'c is a warning and 62'c is your maximum safe temp, after that thinga start going south rapidly,
have fun, do things in small steps and you should enjoy the journey, and more importantly, your chip will survive it :) 
Moto
November 26, 2012 5:51:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was not still overclocked when I tried to unlock. Should I be? I will check out the RAM a little bit more and see what I can do with that. As far as voltage, you say not to exceed 1.55v...Now do you mean CPU Voltage or CPU VDD Voltage? I'm not sure I understand the difference. I believe the CPU Voltage is at around 1.425v on auto and the CPU VDD is around 1.448v-1.5v on auto but I could be wrong.

I know about monitoring my temps and so far I'm not even close to 50'C as far as a CPU temp. Regular CPU temp is 18'C low and 31'C high with minimal overclocking involved
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 11:45:09 AM

No thats fine, if you try unlocking you should first try it at stock speeds, no need to unneccessarily stress the chip, When I said 1.55v I was referring to the Vcore or Cpu voltage
Leave the VDD alone in general,
but check out the black edition overclocking guide at the top of the section, it helped me and many others get started safely :) 
Moto
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:35:59 PM

blue screens whole overclocking are usually ram errors. you could put a fan over the ram and overvolt it slightly. whenever you overclock signifigantly, you have to up the voltage to maintain stability. if the cpu voltage was too low, you would get freezes, when the ram voltage is too low, or the ram gets too hot, you have bsod's
m
l
November 29, 2012 2:44:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've been really busy the last couple of days but I will do some more experimenting starting tonight and into the weekend.
m
l
January 12, 2013 5:31:45 PM

Best answer selected by bjvanwash.
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 13, 2013 9:48:33 AM

Glad to help man, thank you for B.a.
Moto
m