Sign in with
Your question

PSU or Driver Issue?

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2010 1:30:59 PM

Hello, I have recently replaced the stock motherboard in my Dell XPS630i with the ASUS P5N-T Deluxe. I also replaced the video card with 2 GeForce 9800GTX 512M in SLI. I have two Seagate 500G drives in a RAID-0 config and a CD Burner,DVD Burner, and Bluetooth/Flash Card Reader.

Recently I find that when I'm gaming I can hear the fans ramp up and the video will freeze and then the system reboots. I have turned down the graphics options in the game to minimize and/or eliminate this.

My question is - is this power supply related since I still have the stock Dell PSU that shipped with the system or is it driver related?

I think that the standard PSU is 750W but I haven't checked this as yet. I'm trying to figure out where the $$ needs to go to fix this so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help!

More about : psu driver issue

February 17, 2010 2:05:31 PM

If it's a hardware problem, I suspect overheating rather than the PSU not having enough power. Install some temperature monitoring software (from the graphics card manufacturer) and see if the temps are getting too high. Also try keeping your system case open temporarily and see if that'll alleviate the problem.

If the temps are not the problem, try some other nVidia drivers (usually a revert to an earlier version is far better for resolving stability issues).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2010 3:50:32 PM

It definitely sounds like a heat problem to me too.

Which sometimes is just dust buildup in the case.
m
l
!