Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking a non "k" series

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:27:39 AM

overclocking noob here,

is it actually possible to overclock an i5 3570 (3.4 , 3.8 turbo) at all and if so to what extent?

-Lord Tumnas

More about : overclocking series

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:32:18 AM

You can change the BLK but not the multiplier.

You will only get very small gains and it's hard to maintain system stability with a changed base clock as all other timings are governed by it.
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:50:58 AM

ok so i understood little of that, thankyou for the help though

i think ill just stick with the 3.4....
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:52:21 AM

basically it's not worth doing :) 
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:55:00 AM

thankyou, ill just leave it then and try my hand at GPU overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:58:38 AM

That is definitely worth doing. Just go slowly increasing core clock by 10mhz increments until it wont do a loop of heaven etc. Memory ocing is less important on the GPU than core clock.
November 26, 2012 5:03:20 PM

if you slightly upped the cpu voltage, you could get a 15-20% oc on your cpu, more than you would get out of your video card. video card will prolly overclock about 8%, cause you dont have voltage adjustments for gfx. if you overclock the ram, it would greatly increase bandwidth, but this would take a slight ram overvolt and a fan over the ram sticks, and you can easily get 15-20% oc out of your ram. i find that ram overclocks are sometimes more beneficial than just cpu overclocks, and ive never seen a ram stick that couldnt be overclocked to the next standard frequency.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 8:26:35 PM

DeepDystopia said:
if you slightly upped the cpu voltage, you could get a 15-20% oc on your cpu, more than you would get out of your video card. video card will prolly overclock about 8%, cause you dont have voltage adjustments for gfx. if you overclock the ram, it would greatly increase bandwidth, but this would take a slight ram overvolt and a fan over the ram sticks, and you can easily get 15-20% oc out of your ram. i find that ram overclocks are sometimes more beneficial than just cpu overclocks, and ive never seen a ram stick that couldnt be overclocked to the next standard frequency.

I've never seen anyone gain much real world performance from a RAM oc unless it's very RAM intensive what your doing.
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 7:19:55 AM

DeepDystopia said:

um... i know for a fact that a gpu (7850 in this case) will overclock way more than 8%, i seen people do it with a minor overvolt in ASUS GPU tweak for example. ive seen 45% overclocking... and thats stable and not on water
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 7:24:14 AM

darth pravus said:
That is definitely worth doing. Just go slowly increasing core clock by 10mhz increments until it wont do a loop of heaven etc. Memory ocing is less important on the GPU than core clock.

how do i know if it fails this?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 7:34:56 AM

Lord Tumnas said:
how do i know if it fails this?

You will either get artifacts (flashing onscreen, colored dots spikes etc) or it will get a driver stopped message and it will crash out. NO damage done as long as you back off when these things happen.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 4:14:40 PM

You can OC a non-K i5 or i7, actually (at least a little, and not even touch the BCLK). Just raise the Turbo multipliers by 4 each.

It's possible because of something called "Limited Unlocked". All SB and IB Turbo capable CPU's can do it.

And you should never really touch the BCLK, regardless. It's safe to around 105Mhz, but there's no good reason to put it there considering how small of an OC that is.
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2012 11:23:58 PM

Best answer selected by Lord Tumnas.
!