Sign in with
Your question

site:tomshardware com build pc for photo work

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2010 5:45:51 PM

I am new to Tom's Forums, and even newer to the technology of which components will
work nicely together. This system will be my first build from scratch using new
Components, although I have successfully replaced components in a number of pc's and
built a pc using components salvaged from other redundant PC's.
I am building this for normal internet use etc, but hope to learn and become
proficient at photo editing and perhaps vidoe as well. I would very much appreciate
your thoughts, comments and any suggestions you may have regarding my chosen
components for this sytem and any additional considerations that I may have over
looked. Thanking you in advance for your time and any recommendations.

The OS will be windows 7 ultimate.

PSU - Cooler Master RS600-AMBAD3-UK - COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO 600W MODULA £62.01/ea
Memory - OCZ OCZ2P8004GK - OCZ DDR2 Platinum 800Mhz 4GB Kit .... £68.62/ea
GPU - MSI N8400GS-D512H - MSI NVIDIA 8400GS 512MB 64BIT DDR2 FA... £20.89/ea
CPU - AMD ADX250OCGQBOX - AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core (250) 3.0G... £42.35/ea
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 - GIGABYTE AM2 /AM3 NVIDIA-NF720D 4XDDR... £40.24/ea
Case - Antec THREE_HUNDRED_EU - Antec Three Hundred Gaming Tower Case... £34.94/ea
HDD/os - Seagate Barracuda ST380815AS 80GB SATA II Hard Drive - OEM £ 22.95/ea
HDD/Storage - Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM £ 48.99/ea
DVD 1 - Sony 24x Internal DVDRW/Ram SATA Black Lightscribe £ 16.95/ea
DVD - Sony 24x Internal DVDRW SATA Black oem £ 13.29/ea

These prices are pre vat & delivery, from UK suppliers,

Gerrysea
February 18, 2010 2:10:34 AM

I would suggest getting a bigger drive for your OS. Ideally you should install all your apps on one drive, and use the other for your data.
February 18, 2010 9:29:04 AM

Hi Manic,
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly, Something like > Samsung HD161GJ 160GB Spinpoint 3.5" SATA-II Hard Drive - OEM perhaps?
Related resources
February 18, 2010 9:42:42 AM

What program are you going to use to do the photo editing? And Video? That's a big chunk of change. A few extra dollars in the hard drive department is money well spent.
February 18, 2010 11:37:11 AM

Initialy it'll be 'Photoshop Elements' for th images, I'm very much a newby to the whole deal,so it's very much a learning curve. I'm sure I'll probably want to move on as I learn, I haven't really given a great deal of thought to the Video side of things, it's just a case of it being something that I'd like to get involved in, perhaps a bit later on, so want to have a sytem that will handle it. It'll never be to profesioinal standards, do you have suggestions in that dept? . Yes, it is a big chunk of change, I'd be interested in any savings if you think I'm OTT with any components? "A few extra dollars in the hard drive department is money well spent", what would you have in mind?
February 19, 2010 9:35:40 PM

SL2W8 said:
What program are you going to use to do the photo editing? And Video? That's a big chunk of change. A few extra dollars in the hard drive department is money well spent.

Initialy it'll be 'Photoshop Elements' for th images, I'm very much a newby to the whole deal,so it's very much a learning curve. I'm sure I'll probably want to move on as I learn, I haven't really given a great deal of thought to the Video side of things, it's just a case of it being something that I'd like to get involved in, perhaps a bit later on, so want to have a sytem that will handle it. It'll never be to profesioinal standards, do you have suggestions in that dept? . Yes, it is a big chunk of change, I'd be interested in any savings if you think I'm OTT with any components? "A few extra dollars in the hard drive department is money well spent", what would you have in mind?
!