$MFT corruption

I get an error douring download of XP sp2: "C:/$MFT corrupt and unreadable.
Run CHKdsk." Which I had and problem still persists. Can this be fixed
without reformatting.

can someone
--
New at building machines, so please take it easy on me.

Laury, take a look here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MFT+corrupt+&btnG=Google+Search