Sign in with
Your question

Want to overlock a AMD Phenom II X6 1055t 2.8Ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
November 26, 2012 3:34:16 PM

Hey guys i am wanting to overlock my AMD Phenom II X6 1055t 2.8Ghz to about 3.3 GHz

I have just installed a cooler master 212 Evo
My mobo is a ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 Rev 1.xx
and i have 8gb DDR3 Ram

Im and pretty unaware of how to overlock safely any advice/ links on how to overclock this cpu

Thanks
November 26, 2012 4:07:40 PM

i believe that there are overclocking guides in here. first, reduce your cpu multipliers and raise the base clock to teat the limitations of your mobo/ram. add a tasd more voltage and a fan to the ram, if necesarry. once you have the mobo and ram overclocked stabilly, then begin raising your cpu multipliers, adding more viltage as necesarry. an overclock can appear stable, but may become unstable during intense processing, so, download prime 95, and run it overnioght, to ensure stability, and, if prime 95 proves it unstable after several minutes to hours, raise the cpu voltage, and get more intake and exhaust fans. if you overvolt/overheat your cpu, it wont matter, because the cpu will shut down before it reaches dangerous heat levels, its the mobo and ram you have to be careful not to fry, so, test them first, with the cpu multipliers lowered, so that the mobio/ram overclocks, but the cpu runs at stock speed, when you find the max for your mobo/ram, then start raising the cpu multipliers back up.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 5:10:07 PM

Why add a fan to the RAM? If it gets too high in frequency, just drop a RAM multiplier for more room on the base clock and/or raise memory voltage and NB and/or CPU/NB voltage (so long as the northbridge isn't also overheating). RAM performance generally isn't a huge deal anyway and adding fans to the RAM isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Overvolting and overheating are entirely different things and I don't know how you could put them in the same area.

Your instructions don't seem to make a whole lot of sense either since you can't really isolate one thing (in this case, base clock stability) like that. It isn't that simple, especially on the AM3/AM3+ platforms where you have many, many settings to juggle.

It'd be much less complicated to simply tell OP to drop the memory multiplier a notch and attempt increasing the base clock in 5MHz or less increments to about 240MHz and report back with failure/success results for more instructions.
Related resources
November 26, 2012 6:03:17 PM

the reason for the fan on the ram is so that you can add more voltage and speed to the ram. faster ram does improve performance, it opens up the bus between the ram and your cpu.

i would suggest lowering the cpu multiplier signifigantly enuf to raise the base clock from 200mhz to 260mhz, while keeping the cpu at stock speeds for now, , test the mobo for stability, and raise the nb voltage, if necesarry, then raise the ram by a step, and test for stability, adding a little voltage and a fan, if neceswarry, then, finally, raising your cpu multiplier to achieve the desired overclock, all the while testing for stability witn prime 95, and kicking the cpu voltage up a notch until it can pass an overnight run of prime 95, and is not running too hot.

i overclocked my ddr2 667mh to 800mh easy, just by uppping the voltage a notch and adding a fan. a ram fan can be screwed into the 2 top mounted screw holes of the cpu fan(the closest, to ram, 2 screw holes of the cpu fan), since the cpu and ram are usually adjacent. this overclock of my ram benchmarked me in sandra for memorty bandwidth directly below the i7's, with the triple channel ddr3 memory. (ddr3 is sort of a trade off, anyway, cause they have to raise the ram timings so much to achieve ddr3 speeds, so, you have a higher frequency, but more missed cycles; hence, it is better to try and overclock slower frequency ram with tighter timings, than to buy already stock high-speed ram with loose timings. ram performance doesnt change much when upgrading to faster, but looser timed ram, but when overclocking tightly timed ram, it can give a serious boost in performance, by keeping the cpu from waiting on ram cycles and clicks.

if you want to know why i suggest this way, well, its because i learned from one of the best. of course, i didnt learn MY best, so i dont have the best time explaining it with the proper technical jargon.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 6:47:51 PM

The issue is that OP is looking for a specific frequency overclock and it's not a very heavy one, so it'd be simpler and easier to just target that frequency. Even junk boards should have no problem hitting around 240MHz on the base clock and it's just as easy to test it with stock CPU multiplier as it would be with a lower one.

There's no need to test the motherboard's stability beyond what the OP wants to do because that is outside of OP's requirements.

All that OP really needs to do is simply drop the RAM multiplier one notch and attempt raising the board's base clock to about 240MHz in 5MHz or less increments. In doing so, OP would just go into the BIOS, add another increment, re-boot back into the BIOS. Assuming that it doesn't fail to POST until OP reaches the desired overclock, OP could then run Prime95 for a few hours to over a dozen hours over night for stability testing. Assuming that it succeeds, nothing more needs to be done unless OP decides to do more. Assuming that it fails stability testing, we can give further instructions in voltage settings, increasing one or more of them a little until it passes and then we're back to either being finished or going further should OP want to go further.

RAM performance can matter, but it generally isn't a huge deal except for specific workloads such as compression/decompression, rendering, some folding workloads, and a few other less common jobs such as AVX accelerated workloads. Otherwise, although it may help somewhat, it generally doesn't help a lot, at least unless you make significant bandwidth and/or latency improvements.

If you wanted to go for a very large overclock, then what you suggest would be closer to ideal, but that is not what OP claimed to want to do.

Also, DDR3 does not have any such trade-off, at least not with modern DDR3 modules. Higher timings aren't bad so long as they are more than offset by higher frequencies because real-time latency is a function of the timings and frequency. For example, doubling the frequency and increasing timings by ~50% each still has lower latency than stock for each.

Basically, DDR3-800 6-6-6-18 or whatever is still higher latency than DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24.
!