Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best Graphics Card for 24 in. Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 8, 2010 9:51:18 PM

I am confused on which of the new Radeon cards would be best for the setup that I am building. I'm trying to decide between the 5770, 5850, 5870 or 5970. So far I have:

AZZA Solano ATX full tower case
24in. Hanstar Hanns G-HH241 widescreen monitor
Corsair 750TX-750w power supply
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 internal hard drive - bare drive
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit for system builders
Intel i7 920


TIA! :D 

More about : graphics card monitor

a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2010 10:14:42 PM

The 5870 will totally max out that resolution and will give you great performance. The 5970 is really only worth it for 30" (2560x1600 res.) monitors.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2010 11:41:20 PM

A 5850 would give great performance for a 1080 screen, much better price/performance over the 5870.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 9, 2010 12:20:41 AM

I agree with paperfox, the 5850 is the better deal. I am running a resolution of 1920x1200 with a HD4870, runs fine.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 2:00:39 AM

The 5850 will do fine, yes, but when DX11 is enabled then the 5850 can't quite cut it.
Share
February 9, 2010 2:34:00 AM

AMW1011 said:
The 5850 will do fine, yes, but when DX11 is enabled then the 5850 can't quite cut it.



So, the 5870 would be better?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 2:41:45 AM

If you can afford it, yes.
m
0
l
February 16, 2010 4:14:53 AM

Best answer selected by Opal.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2010 4:37:37 AM

AMW1011 said:
The 5850 will do fine, yes, but when DX11 is enabled then the 5850 can't quite cut it.

Ug, don't give that the "best answer." He just pulled it out of his *ss and it has no bearing on reality.
The HD5870 is a better card but when you factor in overclocking it isn't worth the price difference. An HD5850 can OC to around the performance an HD5870 and even higher(1ghz+) if you are willing to up the voltage a bit. Either card should be great for a 24" monitor, DX11 or not. Go with the HD5870 if an extra $100 isn't a big deal for you but otherwise just OC an HD5850 and pocket the extra money.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 11:33:15 AM

jyjjy said:
Ug, don't give that the "best answer." He just pulled it out of his *ss and it has no bearing on reality.
The HD5870 is a better card but when you factor in overclocking it isn't worth the price difference. An HD5850 can OC to around the performance an HD5870 and even higher(1ghz+) if you are willing to up the voltage a bit. Either card should be great for a 24" monitor, DX11 or not. Go with the HD5870 if an extra $100 isn't a big deal for you but otherwise just OC an HD5850 and pocket the extra money.


And you could overclock the 5870 just as high, so it is a moot point.

From what we know now, a 5870 seems to be the sweat spot in performance for DX11, though we don't have much information. It is always best to be prepared.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2010 5:06:34 PM

AMW1011 said:
And you could overclock the 5870 just as high, so it is a moot point.
No it's not a moot point because one of the cards cost $100 more.
As for the performance hit from DX11 no one knows yet. Stating that an HD5850 "can't quite cut it" is simply something you made up.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 6:35:53 PM

jyjjy said:
No it's not a moot point because one of the cards cost $100 more.
As for the performance hit from DX11 no one knows yet. Stating that an HD5850 "can't quite cut it" is simply something you made up.


Your right in one respect, I don't know what will happen with DX11, but looking at the information we have NOW, the 5850 may be a bottleneck.

at his native resolution with 4x in DX11 mode in DiRT 2 these are the results:



According to those results the 5870 will give a much better gaming experience. I realize this game has mostly tacked on DX11, but it is still there.

Also if you were atentive and read the entire thread you would see that I said, and I quote:

Quote:
If you can afford it, yes.


I did NOT say that it would be a better deal, just that in my opinion and from what little we know, the 5870 should be able to play DX11 titles just fine at his resolution with great results, the 5850 is not certain.



Notice that at his resolution, the 5870 is about 15% faster than the 5850. Is that REALLY worth $80-$100? That depends on the one buying it, and to the OP it seemed as though he was prepared to spend the extra.

Just because you don't think it is worth it doesn't mean no one should ever buy a 5870 over a 5850. I gave him information, I didn't tell him anything that was at least plausible and I did not say whether it was worth he money or not, I let him decide.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2010 7:15:23 PM

At stock settings it is 15% faster but less so if you OC. I never said no one should buy an HD5870 but I did give my opinion on the relative values of the two cards while clearly stating that the HD5870 is in fact a better card.
What you did was state as fact something you entirely made up. You flat out told the guy that the HD5850 wasn't good enough for DX11. Even the one piece of evidence you've supplied shows the card getting a minimum of 40 fps at his resolution in DX11 mode which is well above what most people consider smooth. Even if your evidence did support what you are saying it is based on ONE game. There are 3 other DX11 games, one of them shows almost no performance decrease from DX11 vs DX10 and the other two actually have higher frame rates.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 9:28:58 PM

jyjjy said:
At stock settings it is 15% faster but less so if you OC. I never said no one should buy an HD5870 but I did give my opinion on the relative values of the two cards while clearly stating that the HD5870 is in fact a better card.
What you did was state as fact something you entirely made up. You flat out told the guy that the HD5850 wasn't good enough for DX11. Even the one piece of evidence you've supplied shows the card getting a minimum of 40 fps at his resolution in DX11 mode which is well above what most people consider smooth. Even if your evidence did support what you are saying it is based on ONE game. There are 3 other DX11 games, one of them shows almost no performance decrease from DX11 vs DX10 and the other two actually have higher frame rates.


Ok, first of all yes you can OC a 5850 and close the gap, but you could also OC the 5870 meaning the gap stays the same, that is irrelevant. That is like saying you shouldn't buy the Porsche Boxter S because you can supercharge the Boxter, but you can supercharge the Boxter S as well, assuming that the supercharger and installation are free.

Second, I don't feel that I told him that the 5850 will not perform in DX11 games, I told him that the 5870 is SURE to do well, more or less, and the 5850 is kind of iffy, if you see it differently then that is your prerogative.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2010 9:41:58 PM

AMW1011 said:
Ok, first of all yes you can OC a 5850 and close the gap, but you could also OC the 5870 meaning the gap stays the same, that is irrelevant. That is like saying you shouldn't buy the Porsche Boxter S because you can supercharge the Boxter, but you can supercharge the Boxter S as well, assuming that the supercharger and installation are free.

Second, I don't feel that I told him that the 5850 will not perform in DX11 games, I told him that the 5870 is SURE to do well, more or less, and the 5850 is kind of iffy, if you see it differently then that is your prerogative.

This is not a matter of opinion. You flat out stated that the HD5850 will not cut it when DX11 is applied which is something that is pure speculation at best and flat out misinformation given current data.
As for the thing about OCing no, look up how the two cards actually OC before making statements like that. You can also OC the HD5870 and they both OC to a similar speed. However the HD5850 starts out at lower clock settings which means the performance gain is significantly higher compared to stock on that card.
m
0
l
!