System File Check from hard drive.

origamer

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
System File Check from hard drive.

I would like to run a System File Check. I am told that i can run a 'SFC' from the hard drive (C:\)and avoid CD requests, if i copy my i386 folder from my Win XP Pro CD, to my 'root directory' (in C:\), and then modify the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetup)and change the source path to the new 'C:i386' folder.

By chance i stumbled upon a folder in C: called '93453b33d88a2dddd17c6f89' Within this folder there were 2 other folders.. 'AMD64 and i386'* which i now understand are both for 64 bit OS installations.

My question is, can i just drag the contents of my 'Windows CD i386 folder' to the aforementioned, current, i386 folder* (within the 93453b33..etc folder)or do i need to copy the i386 folder from the Windows CD, directly to the C: drive, thus creating a new and separate i386 folder in C:\, before i navigate to the registry and change the source path to C:i386

Kind regards,

Nick.

Since you have a Windows XP Pro CD there is no point in avoiding the request for a CD when you run SFC. Avoiding that request is for users who don't have a Microsoft Windows disc (ie owners of OEM machines where Windows is pre-installed).

Moreover, you may well "break" your Windows installation if you start moving system folders around and messing with the Registry., so best to avoid that.

origamer

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you for replying to my question Phill22 :)

Last time i used the windows cd, (to install a language pack), the process terminated my firewall and other security, disabled windows media player, and altered various user settings i had specified. :fou:

My original problem is that i am unable to install any dos programs. Here is the message i get when i attempt a dos install...

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers, VDD. Virtual
Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application. [Close] [Ignore]

I get the same results regardless of which DOS application I attempt to install.

Searching Google, i found advice that suggested this could be related to various files being corrupted, during previous dos installations. i.e. files in my i386 folder, and my command.com file. I also found suggetions to run a System file check to fix these problems.

Naturely after my previous experience of using the windows cd i was worried.

So i guess my question this time is..
Can i run a System file check from the windows cd, without it altering my security settings and personal windows user preferences?

origamer

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Excuse me for the double post, but i feel that this thread is getting lost in the long grass so to speak.
I feel the need to clarify that moving system files around, and messing with the registry is the last of my intentions, that's why i'm here asking for confirmation that the two i386 folders i mentioned in my previous post are not the same. I was hoping that there would be someone out there with enough knowledge of the i386 folder functions and uses on XP, to be able to advise me on my next move.

harryblue954

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
tools on the HDD first is CD, for deep ckdcskspace/r