Sign in with
Your question

Should i get noctua nh-d14?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 26, 2012 7:43:06 PM

I have the CM hyper 212 evo, and replaced its fan with a noctua nf-p12 pwm fan. The fan gets loud at max speed, and I need to run the cpu at 80-100%, and i think the fan will be loud at that percentage most likely. I heard the noctua nh-d14 does not run its fans at max when the cpu is around 80-100% cpu usage, so I won't have to deal with a loud cpu fans. I need to run programs at night and loud fans do not allow me to sleep. I need extremely quiet cpu fans and the noctua nh-d14 should do the job I believe. I even heard this heatsink can be used as a passive fan-less heatsink.

Should I get the noctua nh-d14? its on sale on newegg. The cpu is i5 2500k at 4.0 Ghz OC and the motherboard is asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard.

More about : noctua d14

a c 100 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 8:10:30 PM

You realize you can just set a fan profile so it's slower even at higher temperatures, right?

While the Noctua is a great cooler, and can be used passively, the passive is for underclocking or low-thermal chips, and it's really, really overkill for an overclock that modest. Stick with what you've got now and just turn the fan down if it bugs you so much.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 8:34:50 PM

mazchazo said:
I have the CM hyper 212 evo, and replaced its fan with a noctua nf-p12 pwm fan. The fan gets loud at max speed, and I need to run the cpu at 80-100%, and i think the fan will be loud at that percentage most likely. I heard the noctua nh-d14 does not run its fans at max when the cpu is around 80-100% cpu usage, so I won't have to deal with a loud cpu fans. I need to run programs at night and loud fans do not allow me to sleep. I need extremely quiet cpu fans and the noctua nh-d14 should do the job I believe. I even heard this heatsink can be used as a passive fan-less heatsink.

Should I get the noctua nh-d14? its on sale on newegg. The cpu is i5 2500k at 4.0 Ghz OC and the motherboard is asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard.

the 14cm fan "should be quieter than the 12cm fan and keep the cpu cooler at lower revs , and noctua are quiet fans . As for passive at 4.0 OC ,no way I would do that . Use hardwareinfo to turn down fans if need be(if they are pmw) , just watch tempsb.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 8:43:45 PM

jerry6 said:
the 14cm fan "should be quieter than the 12cm fan and keep the cpu cooler at lower revs , and noctua are quiet fans . As for passive at 4.0 OC ,no way I would do that . Use hardwareinfo to turn down fans if need be(if they are pmw) , just watch tempsb.

I can turn down fans, but I mean if my temp is high.... My temp gets to 62ish at 50-60% cpu usage. it is a sandy bridge cpu, i5 2500k. At 90%ish cpu usage, I'd have to ramp up fan speed to beat the high temp right?
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 8:46:11 PM

Hmm, yes it is. What case do you have? I ask only because the quietest option (aside from a custom watercooling loop) there is to cool a cpu is a large, slow exput fan.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 9:19:45 PM

mazchazo said:
I can turn down fans, but I mean if my temp is high.... My temp gets to 62ish at 50-60% cpu usage. it is a sandy bridge cpu, i5 2500k. At 90%ish cpu usage, I'd have to ramp up fan speed to beat the high temp right?

With the 14cm dh 14 it turns slower but puts more air through , with the 12cm you can try turning it down , think you're safe(with a long life ) up to around 70c+ a bit with that chip , just pay close attention to the temps
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:33:04 PM

jerry6 said:
With the 14cm dh 14 it turns slower but puts more air through , with the 12cm you can try turning it down , think you're safe(with a long life ) up to around 70c+ a bit with that chip , just pay close attention to the temps

Keep in mind I will be using these programs at 80-90% cpu usage 24/7. I'll stop overclocking maybe, so the temps will be even lower.

My case is the Cooler Master HAF 922, as it is a high airflow case, with mesh and holes everywhere, this might be the source of the problem. People tell me replacing the case isn't worth it, because the noise of the cpu cooler and vga cooler won't be as silenced as replacing both coolers. All fans on the case are set at lowest setting for silence, the case fans are quiet.
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:42:04 PM

There are some nice lian li cases on sale on newegg, I heard they are quiet, but idk if it's necessary to change case, I heard it's more important to change cpu cooler and vga cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2012 4:15:01 PM

yes , fans and the speed/design of blades makes the difference
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2012 4:39:45 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think that you are going to find something that meets the needs of a seriously overclocked CPU and still manages to be near silent. The Noctua fan you mention is rated as making 19dB(A) noise even at full speed, There is a certain amount of air that needs to be moved across the surface that is dissipating the processor's heat, and moving that volume of air is going to make a certain amount of noise as it passes through the case, regardless of whether or not the fans are absolutely silent by themselves or not. At a certain point, your only options are to either accept the sound level, to reduce the the amount of heat being generated, or lower the temperature of the ambient air in the room.
m
l
!