Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
In a few months time we will see this GPU on the market. This is supposedly more powerful than the 5870 and positioned to take on 5970.

Do you think it would have been worth the one year wait since the release of the upgraded GTX285 from the GTX280? Price points and what can Nvidia offer after the long wait?

Solution
Roughly, I thought the new Fermi was going to be 15% maybe 20%ish faster than the 5870

Certainly not a contender for the 5970...

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I have a feeling that this post is going to be flame-bait. Like you said it will depend on the performance and price point of the GTX480 and 470. As well as its heat and efficiency compare to ATI's current offerings. The supply of the cards will also be very important. I believe that Fermi will be powerful certainly more powerful than the GTX285, but at what cost? I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

No. I just like to see what other people think other than the ones that post on the Tom's articles. Plus once the article is replaced by another one, people tend to refer to fourms as well for personal and sometimes more biased opinions. They can also opt to read non-biased reviews as well.

If you see, the PhysX thread did have many valid points and several posters/ppl learned things as did I. You even posted your thoughts(sarcastic) and experiances there. Some of these posts can be useful for new readers or for ppl interested on that specific/certain topic. It can also aid or help form ideas and improve on the basic computer/IT knowledge one has. Isnt this the whole point of the TOMs site?

notty22

Distinguished

So this thread is to supplement the Fermi release article which has yet to be published because the card is not released yet ?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Yes,a suppliment for what Nvidia does not currently have for us in terms of information and specs.... Their marketing team is too hush hush that it makes some wonder if:

a) Their product will truly change the way GPUs are used(possibly smaller area size, low low power reqs).
b) They have a new technology or perhaps a updated and upgraded version of an older tech that TRULY utilizes the cards power and architecture (i.e. new Hybrid SLI, or use of PhysX in a positive way).
c) They are truly lost in the GPU playing feild and are scramling NOT to REBRAND and one up ATi.
d) They are trying to cut costs and at the same time allow us to have a great new gpu for the price of a current GTX285 or GTX295.

AMW1011

Distinguished
I'm with notty on this one, how can one be a fan of something that we have no information about and only theories as to its performance and specs?

Well I guess I'll give my thoughts just be nice.

Fermi wont change much, it will likely add price points and not take over many. That said it should be pretty close to the 5970, and if at the same or lower price, the GTX 480 should be a great buy. The GTX 470 is a mystery as the space that it can hold isn't very large and it won't likely provide much incentive over anything else. Regardless, Fermi with equal competition, which is something I can't wait for.

But to be honest, no one knows whether it will another 2900 XT (useless), a 4870 (budget king), or a 8800 GTX (performance crown).

Yep, the only one I find hard to see happening is budget king, because for NVidia to price it low it would have to be either very cheap to produce (which from the known specs isn't likely) or extremely bad performing (which I doubt, and even then they might not drop prices that much). And ATI can lower prices a bit if need be as well. But in terms of performance? No clue. We know it will have quite a bit of power, but as to whether that power will directly help games is unknown.

AMW1011

Distinguished

It wouldn't surprise me to see the GTX 470 10% over and the GTX 480 at a 10% under 5870 and 5970 respectively. If the GTX 470 outperforms the 5870 by even a little, it won't be a bad deal. If the GTX 480 can come close to the 5970 it will be a great deal. The problem? Those prices will bleed nVidia dry, but they are set to make all there money on Tegra anyway.

If that is true the Fermi is an 2900 XT, because they won't be able to keep the prices that low. A more likely scenario:

GTX 470 >= 5870

GTX 480 <= 5970

But who knows, things could go your way or a totally different one, we just don't have the information.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I want some healthy competition, I really want the fermi based cards to be powerful and affordable, as I am no fanboy, and would gladly take a well priced Nvidia card. I just don't believe this can be possible, atm. I sincerely hope my gut feelings are wrong, if only to help PC gaming out with a fantastic price war on 5xxx like how the 4xxx broke the budget market.

I want more of my friends to build nice gaming rigs, not many of my RL friends deviate from their consoles.

Well, by budget king I didn't mean competitively priced, I meant more like the 4800 release which sent NVidia's prices into freefall. That I don't see happening, but a reasonably priced and well performing Fermi is a definite possibility. I don't think NVidia feels they need to gain marketshare and I'm sure they want to make money, so I'd guess they would price it where they think it is competitive rather than undercutting the 5800s.

I hope the Fermi chips are good, so AMD will lower prices, but i ahve a nasty feeling it may not happen. I think FERMI is gonna be to expensive for its preformace, and Nvidia will be forec to cut GTX 285 ptices to 200$ and EOL GTX 280,275 and price gtx 260 at 125$ to reamin competive.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

I don't think they could gain market share with fermi if they wanted to.. Unless they price it low enough Dell replaces thier gt310's with it :D

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well I must say, when you put it like that I'm more interested in figure out fermi than I have been up until now!

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Don't do that, you may get burns from infrared radiation. Keep the case on and watch the distorted, super-heated air exit your case.

Wait, we talking about P4s or fermi?

Status
Not open for further replies.