WD 1TB External HD Formatting stuck 99%

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hello All,

I have a 1 TB WD Mybook. I have tried to format this drive using right click only to get an error message.

After reading a few posts I tried to format using Windows Computer Management and a full format - This has taken a few days and now got to 99%. But it has been at 99% for 2 days and I think that it has stopped.

Do you have any idea if this is normal or what to do? I know it should take a long time to do a full format but the progress has stopped.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ben

You seek suggestions, Ok, here's one...

Do as I say in my post
HERE and after the CD is made, install the program in your computer. Run the program to setup your hard drive. This format should take about 40 seconds.

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Wow, very quick reply - Many thanks. I will try this and let you know what happens. After waiting so long I just don't want to click cancel but I guess I must!

Thanks

Click cancel? Yes you must, but with no regrets. Just make sure you are operating on the right drive using the program I supplied. I'm not so sure it will protect your boot drive if it is selected for partitioning and formatting. It very well may issue a warning that there is data on the drive you do want to work on, just click 'erase' and let it do it's thing.

Good luck, and please report back on how it went for you.

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I've just got back from work and followed your link. Must I install some software to download this file? Is there not another location to download direct from a website?

I'm in Italy and so the link comes up in italian so I am unable to understand the site fully. I'm not keen on syncing to anything. Could you give me the full file name so I can search for it else where?

and... yes to cancel I would have to right click on the drive in computer management and select " cancel formatting".

Thanks again

Benson01

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have tried to run this but get the message "Unable to install Disk Manger" "Disk Manager will only run under Windows 95/98, Windows NT4 or Windows 2000/XP. Setup will now exit."

I have Windows 7 Home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks