Your question

Amd phenom ii x4 965 BE Overclocking

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Cooler Master
Last response: in Overclocking
November 26, 2012 8:35:33 PM

Hey, i just ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO because the one im using now isnt cooling enough. So i ordered that and i already got a 120mm fan to set it up with 2 fans instead of one to make it cool better. But now to my question, how much will i be able to overclock it to?

Because im playing Planetside 2 and its a very cpu game, so the few fps the overclock will give me is enough, and im looking to get to 4-4.2 ghz

AMD Phenom2 X4 965 3.4GHz Socket AM3 Black Edition Boxed
Corsair 8GB (KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/VENGEANCE
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X 4xDDR3 SLI CrossFireX Socket AM3+ ATX
Western Digital Caviar Blue 5000AAKX 500GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA-3
Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1GB PCI-E OC
Cooler Master GX Lite - 600W

My setup.

More about : amd phenom 965 overclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 10:47:36 PM

You have a solid situation there in terms of your motherboard and your memory (assuming you have two 4gb sticks, not four 2gb?). The only issue is the power supply. CM units are just not the cream of the crop, and noise/ripple in the power delivery will definitely hinder a goal as ambitious as getting above 4ghz with our processor. Also would like to know what case and other cooling setup you have- running the voltages to get that clock stable can really require a lot of air movement. I have seven 120mm fans in my case, if you include the two for the cooler's push/pull setup. That is just enough to keep my temps safe at 4.3 full-time.

IMO, try a more conservative clock of 3.8 or so to start and see how much difference it seems to make. You should be able to get between 3.8-4.0ghz without any changes to your BIOS except the increased multiplier. Again, I would caution that I make that statement without knowing how clean of power you're going to be drawing.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 10:54:57 PM

+1^ about the Cooler Master Power Supplies.
I myself own the Phenom 955 which is 200mhz slower in terms of clock speed and for the 955 the typical max OC is 4 ghz. I hear for the Phenom 965 the max OC is usually around 4.2 ghz. However each chip is different, some people can get a significant OC w/o touching the voltage. I myself was not so lucky to be blessed with such a chip as I have to alter the voltage to ensure stability. That being said some chips can not reach 4.2 ghz, it all depends if you are lucky or not.
Related resources
November 27, 2012 5:46:52 AM

I got Two 4 gigs, and how can the CPU be different to some others CPU? Arent they manufactered the same?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2012 4:48:23 PM

abbeekman said:
I got Two 4 gigs, and how can the CPU be different to some others CPU? Arent they manufactered the same?

It just comes down to the concept of there always being some tolerable variation in quality whenever you mass produce any product. They are careful to ensure that all the processors meet the listed specifications easily- how far beyond that they can be pushed will be determined by luck of the draw in terms of when a given chip gets lucky and is closer to ideal than required by quality control. I also am a car guy and belong to an S2000 club. You can have a dyno testing day and you'll discover that if you have 20 stock cars show up, one or two will be five horsepower stronger than the rest test nearly identical to each other.

Beyond that, there are so many variables in terms of motherboard, power supply, and memory that all are required to perform flawlessly for a good overclock to be stable. Even the manufacturing tolerances in these secondary components can make the impact needed to determine whether you get to 4.0ghz or get hung up at 3.8ghz. It's hard to say how often this gets chalked up to CPU quality variance unless the owner has tried the chip in multiple systems.
November 28, 2012 12:32:56 AM

I just recently built my first computer with a Phenom II 965 and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. I was able to get a stable overclock of 4.1ghz with a voltage of 1.48 and temps not exceeding 60c. I'm pretty certain you should be able to achieve a similar overclock. Although, like those who posted already, the power supply may perhaps present an issue (although I'm not sure on that matter myself).
November 30, 2012 2:23:19 PM

Barotrauma said:
I just recently built my first computer with a Phenom II 965 and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. I was able to get a stable overclock of 4.1ghz with a voltage of 1.48 and temps not exceeding 60c. I'm pretty certain you should be able to achieve a similar overclock. Although, like those who posted already, the power supply may perhaps present an issue (although I'm not sure on that matter myself).

could you give me your Oc so i can copy it and see if my will work, i can only get stable at 1.53 volt and thats tooooo much
February 26, 2014 6:17:18 AM

what are your bios options set to for 4.1g? i have a Corsair H55 cooler on a M4A89GTD MB and am not getting much past 3.8
February 26, 2014 6:19:43 AM

Dude it's been so long since i had that cpu, now i have an 3570k, but you might have got a bad chip?
February 26, 2014 7:02:30 AM

abbeekman said:
Dude it's been so long since i had that cpu, now i have an 3570k, but you might have got a bad chip?

thats too bad i just wanted the voltage settings
!