Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How about a PhenomII X6 with DDR2?will there be any bottlenecking?

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2010 3:59:36 PM

I have read that msi 770t-c45(ddr2) board will support phenom x6 with a bios update.i am considering to buy that board since i already have ddr2 ram.So my question is will it be ok to have phenom x6 with ddr2 or there be any bottle necking?
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 8:04:44 PM

Too early to tell for sure. However tomorrow, April 26, they are release officially. Thats when the reviews of the X6 will post and Im sure someone will examine DDR2 vs DDR3. My guess is that as long as you have Dual channel DDR2, you will be fine. But DDR3 does give the Phenom a 5% performance bootst.

Also keep in mind that the board MAY need a bios update to support the X6.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
April 25, 2010 10:19:30 PM

I think having to split two memory channels alone between a 6 core CPU will bottleneck it in some apps as would DDR2.

But it truly depends on what you plan to do with the CPU. If you do memory intensive programs, then it might bottleneck it to a point that DDR3 would not.
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
April 26, 2010 12:29:18 AM

No matter which way you go 6 cores will be sharing the memory. Its 6 cores and only 1 memory controller regardless if you go ddr2 or 3. Will ddr2 bottleneck the x6? Probably it will while its loading all the cache ... but it'll only be bottleneck 5-10% more than ddr3 would be too.

Well thats my 2cents on it.
m
l
April 26, 2010 11:11:09 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I think having to split two memory channels alone between a 6 core CPU will bottleneck it in some apps as would DDR2.

But it truly depends on what you plan to do with the CPU. If you do memory intensive programs, then it might bottleneck it to a point that DDR3 would not.

well i'll be using it for gaming (and some MS office).will it affect my FPS?
m
l

Best solution

a c 126 à CPUs
April 27, 2010 12:38:05 AM

^In that case, more than likley not. Gaming doesn't need the high end memory bandwidth that DDR3 provides. Most apps that can utilize the memory bandwidth that DDR2/3 gives is in the server market where they do a lot of virtualization.

So in your case, no. It wont affect your FPS. If anything you should focus more on the GPU. If you have a Phenom II or Athlon II quad core, then you might want to look at your GPU and upgrade that.

If this is a new build, put more towards the GPU than the CPU. Thats the best way to have the best gaming experience. My CPU was @250 but my GPU was $300 and I can max out pretty much everything except Crysis (no AA/AF) at decent res.
April 27, 2010 7:29:30 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^In that case, more than likley not. Gaming doesn't need the high end memory bandwidth that DDR3 provides. Most apps that can utilize the memory bandwidth that DDR2/3 gives is in the server market where they do a lot of virtualization.

So in your case, no. It wont affect your FPS. If anything you should focus more on the GPU. If you have a Phenom II or Athlon II quad core, then you might want to look at your GPU and upgrade that.

If this is a new build, put more towards the GPU than the CPU. Thats the best way to have the best gaming experience. My CPU was @250 but my GPU was $300 and I can max out pretty much everything except Crysis (no AA/AF) at decent res.

Thanks jimmy.m having HD4850 already.will it be decent for resolutions upto1280*(for 16" monitor) and at maxx settings??
m
l
May 1, 2010 3:08:50 AM

darksmart said:
Thanks jimmy.m having HD4850 already.will it be decent for resolutions upto1280*(for 16" monitor) and at maxx settings??

I'm sure you'll do fine with gaming.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core with a Radeon 4850 and it does well on max everything. I cant say anything else cause I have not intensely gamed on anything better for more than a few minutes.

I have 5 gb of ram DDR2 800mhz, and purchased a phenom ii x6 1055T today from Tiger Direct when they were in stock. I think DDR2 will bottleneck a bit in rendering and encoding programs..but for games it wont do much harm in your fps.
m
l
May 11, 2010 4:35:29 AM

Best answer selected by darksmart.
m
l
!