Overclocking i5-3570k Components

roghero

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Ok so I have been dabbling in overclocking my i5-3570k with an MSI z77 Mpower mobo. I can OC Genie to 4.2 with temps of 40 C which is nice then from there I can adjust the Control Center multiplier to 43x to get 4.3 and temps stay the same and is stable but as soon as I hike it up to 44x I get the BSOD. I would really like to get it up to at least 4.5 ghz and I was wondering what I am missing and what I should upgrade next to make this OC possible with a $260 budget if at all possible and I will have my build below. ($100 of budget is a H100 sitting in the office that can be returned)

MSI Z77 Mpower
i5 3570k
Silenx EFZ 120-HA5 (Thinking about getting better fans for push/pull)
Corsair XMS 3 16 GB (2x8 GB) Was able to XMP to 1600 MHz which is supposed to be stock
MSI 660Ti Power Edition
Corsair Force GT 90GB (Game SSD)
San Disk 64GB (OS SSD)
Excelsior 350 GB Dinosaur HDD (Everything else)
Hitachi External 500 GB (Media Files)
Antec EA 650 Green
Cooler Master Storm Trooper
LG DVD Drive

I am also sitting on an H100 that I am still debating on keeping or returning depending on what responses I get from this thread plus $160 to play with (260 total if H100 is returned, can go a little over). Other options are a bigger SSD (Intel 240GB Cherryville for $250 or MSI Reflex 240GB for $210 or another Corsair Force GT 90GB for $110) or a beefier PSU (Raidmax RX-850AE 850w for $110) and another option is like I said above better push/pull fans for CPU cooler.

Yes I do know that the SSD's will do nothing for my OC but it still would be nice heh.

I plan on going SLI with next years tax return so I plan on maybe getting a beefier PSU withing the next few months or now for said SLI upgrade.

Sorry for the messy and jumbled up question but let me know what you guys think I should do. I will most likely make my move on Friday. I was also eyeing the Noctua cpu cooler on sale for 70 bucks on newegg that ends tonight, will that make a difference? Again sorry for the messy thread and thanks in advance for the advice!

MacJacob

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I have the MSI Mpower motherboard with the i5-3570k too. I'm using the H80 for my CPU cooler. I was getting the BOSD but then I did some reading on our chip and how to overclock it with our motherboard.

Disabled the PLL over voltage in your UEFI. Not sure why?? lol and what that does?? lol. My OC Genie set to customize. Set the OC Genie CPU Ratio to 45. Now this is the tricky part and dangerous part so be careful here or you will be RMA out of luck lol Your OC Genie CPU Core Voltage 1.20 to 1.35 no higher yet I used 1.25 and that worked for me. Every CPU is different and that is the fun part to figuring out the right voltage for your chip.

Our chip can run hot. That is what I've been reading from a lot of forms. People are saying 90c is okay yet no higher and I do not think that is ok?? My chip has been stable and no higher than 76c on prime95 which made me stand up and start sweating hotter than my CPU. Do not run prime95 longer than an hour. People will run that program for 24 hours and that is just dumb don't do that... I run my CPU on prime95 for 20 minutes and then restarted my computer and played BF3 for five hour. On Bf3 my core settings did not get any higher than 60c.

Not sure what you're talking about when you referring to the SSD yet I think you're talking about returning your cooler to get a bigger SSD. keep the cooler not a question...

SLI has been a problem with the new games and giving people hardly anymore frames. I'm going to go buy the 680 4g ram msi. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127695.)

And get a 144hz monitor to get the high frames that we want in 2d. Watch the video and the newegg rep will explain how to get higher frames with the 120hz monitors and higher. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236293)

Good luck and I hope that helps. If anyone has any advise please add more info...