System Freeze

jimmylkj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
hi guys, I desperately need your help / advise....

I recently bought a system with below spec:

i5-760
Gigabyte p55-UD3L
2x 2GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600
Asus ENGTX460 Top
Crossair HX850
Seagate 500GB 7200rpm (from old system)
Window 7 Pro 64-bit

Problem I had now is the system just get freeze at random time ....

e.g. half way playing Starcraft II the graphic freeze, but the background sound still on ...
in Windows, opening up browser or CPUID - it gets freeze .....
booting up bios ..... it gets freeze ....
half way in bios setting ... it gets freeze ...
what's good in this morning ... it gets freeze on Windows "welcome" screen ... can't even load in to windows

I have changed my HDD, DVD-rom, PSU (it was silverston 500W - as i thought it was under powered etc) - and change from Windows XP to Windows 7.
the problem still occur.
I had previous installed the stupid EasyTune6 - and I got to know from the forum this tool may crash your system for OC ... therefore I had uninstall it ...

I already had reset my system to manufacture standard where multiplier 21x and blck to 133 which gives 2.80MHz ....

Also I noted that in CPUID or PC Wizard .... my multiplier reading sometimes can go down to 9x and gives 1190MHz ....

then I got adjust the power plan from Windows 7 from Balanced to Full ....

the reading from CPUID goes up to mutiplier 25x and ~3380MHz .......

not sure why the multiplier numbers goes up and down its own when I only set 21x from Bios....

I'm totally noob ... can you guys please help / advise...

thank you

Solution
The multiplier fluctuating is normal all it is is C1E,EIST,and turbo at work, a couple of things to try is. First is to set memory timming to their native settings in the bios. Second try 1 stick of memory at a time and try it in each slot. Third run Memtest86 on memory overnight to check for errors, and last unhook all usb connections from the outside and inside or the case restart, shutdown and reconnect ( I have seen usb issues do this before).

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
The multiplier fluctuating is normal all it is is C1E,EIST,and turbo at work, a couple of things to try is. First is to set memory timming to their native settings in the bios. Second try 1 stick of memory at a time and try it in each slot. Third run Memtest86 on memory overnight to check for errors, and last unhook all usb connections from the outside and inside or the case restart, shutdown and reconnect ( I have seen usb issues do this before).

Solution

jimmylkj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
thanks D1rtyju1c3 .... I will give it a try tonight and see how it goes ....

I also got it from other forum saying that do disable the c1e, c3 and EIST ... raising memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 volt helps ?

thanks again

jimmylkj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hi guys,

1. Had got a few tests yesterday ....
2. Firstly, I test one ram at a time on each slot ... I ran a burning test on each time - all good and no errors.
3. Then put back 2 rams and ran the window mem test - pass 2 tests - no error.
4. I have also ran a cpu burning test ... for about 15 mins - no errors and temperature is <55c ....
5. My comp was working great for the first 4 hours - as I ran random burning test - it was still ok.
6. Then I played a couple round of Starcraft II ... it was great as well ... no problem...

7. Until late night - I wanted to watch some RMVB via Real SP .... then it freeze again ...
8. After that, the wave of freezing begans ....

below is my bios setting ...do you guys think a) power source B) or any other problems can be affected ?
Can you guys please help me look at what I have done wrong ....

biossetting.jpg

Thank you thank you

jimmylkj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

yea ... the optimized value does freeze ...

and found the above config is more stable .... just not sure why >4hrs the problem occur when watching videos....

I would have though playing games is much utilizing the GPU ... ?