Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New harddrive Iomega Home Media Network Harddrive

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 25, 2012 5:28:45 PM

I have an Iomega Home Network Harddrive, but the harddrive itself failed. I purchased a new harddrive, and replaced the old harddrive, but I can't get it to work, (the Iomega Home Storage Manager is no longer detecting it, it says 'No devices found.')

I am guessing that I am missing firmware or some software or something, but I'm not sure how to go around fixing this issue, because as far as i know, the firmware needs to be upgraded through the manager, which is not detecting the drive..:( 

Model: MHNDHD
S/N: T4AK17AAUL
a c 120 G Storage
February 25, 2012 7:10:08 PM

You will have to go into disk management and initialize the drive then format it and give it a drive letter , then you can use it.
February 27, 2012 6:16:48 PM

inzone said:
You will have to go into disk management and initialize the drive then format it and give it a drive letter , then you can use it.


Umm, how does that work? It's a network drive, but nothing is detecting it...there must have been some software or something on the old disk which I no longer have. I did check the disk manager, and nothing was there, as well as in the iomega home storage manager...
Related resources
a c 120 G Storage
February 27, 2012 6:44:28 PM

Where is the drive connected to now? Is it inside the computer or is it external and connected to your router?
The best way is to connect it inside your computer so that you can partition and format it and then use it for your NAS.
February 29, 2012 8:10:06 PM

inzone said:
Where is the drive connected to now? Is it inside the computer or is it external and connected to your router?
The best way is to connect it inside your computer so that you can partition and format it and then use it for your NAS.



ok, it was in the external enclosure, so i took it out again and connected the drive to my computer, and formatted it, created a new partition (brand new disc, but I never really thought of doing that before). After that was done I put it back in the case, plugged the ethernet cable back in (connected to a switch, and then a router), and then I turned it on again, but I am still having the same issue. The manager program is still not picking it up...

http://computershopper.com/storage/reviews/iomega-home-...
this is a link to a page about a similar drive (size differs though)

would it maybe be that the old hard drive had a utility partition of sorts?
March 16, 2012 1:51:03 PM

so i tried that and it didn't work....Does anybody else have any suggestions at all, or is it useless/not going to work?
Thanks

Best solution

April 1, 2012 10:40:27 AM
Share

Iomega Home Media drives use a Linux file system, so If you just reformatted it via Windose - you broke it. :o 
Not really - just have to format the new drive via Linux (try a bootable distribution like Knoppix or similar).

Google for "Dead Iomega Home Media Drive" or "New Hard Drive for Iomega Home Media Drive" and follow instructions.
Couple of quick links:

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2495

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266110-32-recovering-...


Good luck.
July 23, 2012 7:36:40 PM

Best answer selected by stevenvw.
February 14, 2013 12:09:32 AM

1908405,1,1040226 said:
I have an Iomega Home Network Harddrive, but the harddrive itself failed. I purchased a new harddrive, and replaced the old harddrive, but I can't get it to work, (the Iomega Home Storage Manager is no longer detecting it, it says 'No devices found.')

I am guessing that I am missing firmware or some software or something, but I'm not sure how to go around fixing this issue, because as far as i know, the firmware needs to be upgraded through the manager, which is not detecting the drive..:( 

Model: MHNDHD
S/N: T4AK17AAUL[/quote

uninstall the the software included in your iomega network drive, restart your computer and windows will detect your network drive.. and you can use with no problem.. theres no need to install again the software
August 19, 2013 9:12:10 AM

stevenvw said:
Best answer selected by stevenvw.


I am facing the same problem
I did formatted the HD by linux (ext4, 1mig unallocated space), but still is not working, the red light never change

please let me know what you did, or what was your steps to make it work
!