MSI 890FXA-GD70 with DDR3 PC20000 2500Mhz?

ottawaxblade

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am new to the Tom's Hardware forums and looking for some help.
A colleague of mine helped me spec out some parts for a new build and I'm not quite sure if what I purchased will work (system not built yet, everything still sealed in their boxes)

I purchased an MSI 890FXA-GD70 mother board, an AMD 1090T Black Edition Processor, an ATI XFX XXX edition 5770 video card and Patriot DDR3 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-20000 2500Mhz ram.

I am really concerned about the ram that was purchased especially having cost me $377 (after shipping and taxes) for 4GB of ram. Will this ram work with my configuration? Will there be any issues? I've attempted to ask MSI this question but their reply was of no help.

Also, to complete the system, I am going to be buying 2 OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II drives and do a RAID 0 for the OS only and 3 Western Digital 1GB Caviar Black Sata III drives placed in a RAID 5.

Any suggestion to what size of Power supply I will need to run all this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Can you RMA the RAM and get something else it's way too expensive (it should work though).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

The frequency doesn't matter much, the latency is more important. If it's for gaming you can RMA the video card as well and get a much more powerful HD 5850. The mobo is also on the expensive side and it supports multiple ATI video cards.

You can get this modular PSU, it's good for a HD 5850 crossfire and modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002&cm_re=XFX_650-_-17-207-002-_-Product

Or this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

ottawaxblade

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Thanks to all that have replied and for your suggestions.
I'm not much of a PC gamer (90% of my gaming is done on consoles) so i thought that having the XFX 5770 overclocked edition would be sufficient.

As for the RAM, my colleague is still stressing that my motherboard would be able to make use of the 2500 Mhz but I'm not so sure myself.

Specs on the mobo show ram configurations upto 2133Mhz. He is telling me that that is probably the most that they (MSI) have tested and certified it with but it should be able to go the extra mile of 2500 Mhz.

I've contacted newegg.ca and was told that they will RMA it and give me a full credit without restocking fees. Just have to pay for shipping it back.

As for a power supply, I purchased a CORSAIR 850 Watt HX series. :)

Any further thoughts about the ram? May go with G.Skill 4GB DDR3-2133 CL7-10-7-27. Any good?

1- The PC is a lot better that a console but the console can run any game more easy that a PC.
2- For the rig that u want build a 850W PSU is a full waste of money even a 550W can handle the rig without problems or a 650W can handle the same rig even with a Crossfire.
3- Get this ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600

Finally, What do u want to do with the rig? Because if u aren't a gamer that rig is overkill for not heavy work.

ottawaxblade

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Thanks for info provided.
I had built a rig few years back where I had done 2 way crossfire using 6600GT video cards. At the time they were some pretty good video cards (for a week maybe) LOL Then the 8800 and 9800 were released, but I honestly don't see the reason why anyone would need more then 1 video card unless you are running multiple monitors. That's just my opinion. I did no see any gain from the multiple cards.