Sign in with
Your question

Will I be able to recover Hard Drive?

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2012 6:46:20 PM

My harddrive failed a couple days ago I believe. I turned it off by holding the power button because I thought I smelt a weird plastic smell. . . which I found out a bit later was just permanent marker.
I rebooted and it came up with the system32/config/system is corrupted or missing.

Well I messed around and probably made matters worse by using testdisk.

I tried to use the recovery partition from Compaq and no luck. it did a system recovery, but after rebooting it just gave me a black screen for an hour so I shut it off. I tried a device-device clone using clonezilla which clone the recovery partition but not the other. It gave me an error "ntfs is scheduled for a check or it was shutdown uncleanly. Please boot windows or fix it by fsck."

I tried chkdsk and repair install before all this and it failed at 25% on both of them.
Chkdsk said that one or more unrecoverable errors detected.

Hitachi drive fitness test gave me error 0x70 which means failing drive. I've heard that a reformat could possibly fix this, but I want to clone the computer and have it the same way as before, if not I've already put the hard drive as a slave and recovered files I wanted.

More about : recover hard drive

a c 119 G Storage
February 25, 2012 6:58:30 PM

Usually if you run check disk and it finds errors or bad sectors you can tell it to fix it but if it can't then it can't. What you can try is to go into disk management and if the disk is listed there then you can try and make a couple of partitions and try to isolate where tha bad sector is and make a partition to include it and try to use the rest of the drive in a seperate partition.
m
l
February 25, 2012 8:03:11 PM

inzone said:
What you can try is to go into disk management and if the disk is listed there then you can try and make a couple of partitions and try to isolate where tha bad sector is and make a partition to include it and try to use the rest of the drive in a seperate partition.

How would I do that? Wouldn't I have to load into Windows?

I would really love to save the restore partition that way I dont have to buy a new windows copy and go around downloading drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
February 25, 2012 9:58:41 PM

Then I may be a little confused by what you said. I thught that you said you have the drive as a slave and you have recoverd the files that you need , so that led me to think you had Windows installed on another drive and were working to recover the use if the bad drive.
In your computer how many hdd's do you have and was the OS on the failed drive or not.
If you have made the drive as a slave drive what is the master?
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:08:27 PM

lurker27 said:
Hitachi drive fitness test gave me error 0x70 which means failing drive. I've heard that a reformat could possibly fix this

If the drive is failing the manufacturer's fitness test, no OS-level format will fix anything at all. There are work-arounds you can use but they won't repair the problem, they'll just make it less obvious until the drive degrades further. If there's any warranty left, which you can check on Hitchi's web site, you need to have it exchanged.

In the meantime, you can use a drive cloning utility to recover the rescue partition to another drive.
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:14:27 PM

inzone said:
Then I may be a little confused by what you said. I thught that you said you have the drive as a slave and you have recoverd the files that you need , so that led me to think you had Windows installed on another drive and were working to recover the use if the bad drive.
In your computer how many hdd's do you have and was the OS on the failed drive or not.
If you have made the drive as a slave drive what is the master?

Sorry for the confusion, the hard drive I want to recover is dead on the windows installed part of it, recovery partition works fine, but once it finishes it doesn't boot.

So I took out the failed hard drive and put it as a secondary in another computer and from there transferred some files.

but yes you are correct, I have windows installed on another drive and am working to recover.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
February 25, 2012 10:34:58 PM

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

You can try this free software to seeif that will help you any in the recovery and you may have to end up trying to see if there is any warranty that you can use to get the drive replaced.
m
l
February 26, 2012 7:25:51 PM

Well damn, I tried to use the Compaq system restore again and same thing. So I did destructive recovery, it told me that the whole i386 folder could not be copied.

I thought it would format the OS side of the harddrive, but it formatted the restore partition. Luckily that was the only thing that would clone so I still have it in another harddrive, but cant use it.

I used testdisk before, and i think I made it worse. I did manage to be able to make an image of the harddrive, but i dont know what to do or open it with. file name is image.dd

Any idea how to use the image?
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
February 26, 2012 8:00:12 PM

I believe the purpose of an image is to restore your files and settings when you install a fresh copy of Windows. You would restore from the image.
m
l
!