Windows 7 can't find my new GTX 260.

rkbrown1313

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Alright, I have been searching high and low and can't find anything to help me with my problem, so here goes. I recently purchased a new Palit GeForce GTX 260 Sonic 216sp to replace my XFX GeForce 9600 GT. I have upgraded my graphics card many times before, so I followed all the usual procedures: uinstalled old drivers, cleaned the computer, etc. I then plugged the new card in, hooked the display up to it, and booted the computer, but my TV said "No Display." I hooked my TV up to the mobo and rebooted, but as soon as Windows 7 reached the desktop, my display turned gray and the computer crashed. I went into safe mode and found that device manager doesn't even find the new card. Additionally, while in safe mode, I tried running the disk that came with the card only to have it tell me that "no suitable device was found." I know my PSU is strong enough for the card, and I can see the fans working on the card, but for some reason Win 7 just won't find it. BIOS is up to date, along with all of my mobo drivers.

The crash happens every time I try to start windows normally, and now even safe mode occasionally crashes. I managed to get this stop error code from my last safe mode crash: 0x00000101 A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

If anyone has any suggestions or could help me in any way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bob

My build is as follows:
EVGA nForce 730a GeForce 8200 Socket AM2+ MB
AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz AM3 CPU
8gb DDR2 6400 OCZ Gold
850W Corsair PS
250 gb Western Digital HDD
Windows 7 64-bit home premium

keepit_smpl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
when you were in safe mode were you actually viewing the display from your new video card? if so did you disable your onboard video in device manager? I have had lots of problems in the past with onboard video conflicting with the installation of a video card.

rkbrown1313

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
No, I was in safe mode with the display still hooked up to the mobo. My TV just blasts me with "No Signal" when it is hooked up to the card. In the BIOS, I have Onboard GPU set to "Enable If No Ext GPU." I'll disable it and give it another go.

Edit: No matter what I do, there is no display from the card. Either Win 7 or my mobo doesn't like it.

I'd suggest removing and reseating the card and power connectors just to ensure everything is in snugly.

Browse the BIOS to see if there is any way to select the PCI-E as the first display (though it sounds like you already did or are doing that).

The card may be defective.

rkbrown1313

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah, the 9600GT works like a charm. This is my second go at getting this thing to work since I received it a few days ago. The first time I gave up, I just popped the 9600GT back in and used Windows Recovery to get the computer up and running again. It booted up just fine.

I suppose I have had a good run though. I've been building computers for about five years now and this is the first thing I have received DOA. I'll RMA this one, but if the next one gives me the same problems, you guys may be hearing from me again XD.

Well, obviously it may not be the problem, but DOA Video cards certainly aren't unheard of. A couple years ago my first 4850 was (seemed to have a short which luckily my PSU detected). But regardless, at this point I can't think of much else to try since the 9600 works great.