Sign in with
Your question

Just a quick question about the Athlon II M320 and the Pentium T4400

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2010 8:30:53 PM

Hey there
I am considering purchasing a laptop which will be used for mainly what netbooks are used for, and the other configurations are the same, namely 4 GB RAM, HDD, b/g/n wireless and all that jazz.

What is puzzling me though is that the processors in contention are Athlon II M320, Pentium Dual Core T4400, the core i3-330m and the core i5-540m.
Obviously the core i3 and core i5 are far better but they also cost a lot more.

Between the AMD and the Pentium, I am torn which one to go for?
cheers

More about : quick question athlon m320 pentium t4400

a c 106 à CPUs
April 25, 2010 8:42:05 PM

T4440 a tad faster than the M320.
April 25, 2010 8:45:23 PM

das_stig said:
T4440 a tad faster than the M320.

Is that due to the higher clockspeed? Then I might just go for the AMD as it has virtualization extensions (useful for Win7's XP Mode) and will be a slighlty better battery life (due to the lower clockspeed?)

Also, the AMD Laptop has LED backlit screen compared to CCFL in the other one....your thoughts on that?
regards
Related resources
April 26, 2010 11:25:10 AM

Well, my biggest question is that what are you gonna use the laptop for?

Sadly, the intel processor is cooler usually due to the lower process it is made on. Although AMD's Cool n Quiet is more superior to the Intel.

On battery, the Intel processor is also slightly better but then in realistic scenarios, the difference is less than 5 minutes anyway.
April 26, 2010 11:29:19 AM

stridervm said:
Well, my biggest question is that what are you gonna use the laptop for?

Sadly, the intel processor is cooler usually due to the lower process it is made on. Although AMD's Cool n Quiet is more superior to the Intel.

On battery, the Intel processor is also slightly better but then in realistic scenarios, the difference is less than 5 minutes anyway.

i am just gonna be using the laptop for general uni work, no games (well except apart from a random shot at world domination in stick cricket lol) - according to wikipedia both the processors are same 45nm process, same 35W TDP, clock speed difference of 100 MHz, same cache, but the FSB link on the pentium is 800 MHz compared to the Hypertransport of 1600 Mhz on the AMD. Pentium doesnt have the virtualization for Win7's XP Mode either which AMD does....I still dont get why the Athlon is slower?

regards
April 26, 2010 7:36:05 PM

guess what i really wanna find out is that whether either of them be any faster/cooler/better battery life than my centrino duo T7200 @2.0 Ghz 4 MB Cache 667 Mhz FSB with 2 GB RAM....
!