Sign in with
Your question

Is a 64GB SSD too little?

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2012 9:55:04 PM

I am planning to buy a new computer and having an SSD seems very appealing. However, I have never built a computer before and having a ~$500 budget means I'm either getting an SSD or an HDD, not both. SSD-only builds seem extremely rare, and seems risky for me to try it as a first-timer. Also, with such a low budget, I cannot afford to get anything more expensive than a 64GB like the Crucial M4. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) I would only be downloading a bootleg Windows 7 (have both 64 and 32 bit versions in case I need to scale down), a few apps like OpenOffice/Mozilla and League of Legends. If I do start with the SSD, I am planning to get an HDD afterwards, and vice-versa. I need a computer ASAP for school (netbook broke) which is why I'm not just saving up for both.

Is a 64GB SSD too little storage for a new (temporary) build?

More about : 64gb ssd

a c 177 G Storage
February 25, 2012 10:09:58 PM

You will get no responses from me, or anyone else on this forum if you are planning on a bootleg copy of windows!!
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:19:56 PM

I would not recommend using a bootleg copy of windows you have no idea what kind of malware is preloaded on there in the form of a rootkit. It's a 100 bucks just go buy it. It's worth the investment knowing you have a clean system.

tchrisxcrosst said:
I am planning to buy a new computer and having an SSD seems very appealing. However, I have never built a computer before and having a ~$500 budget means I'm either getting an SSD or an HDD, not both. SSD-only builds seem extremely rare, and seems risky for me to try it as a first-timer. Also, with such a low budget, I cannot afford to get anything more expensive than a 64GB like the Crucial M4. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) I would only be downloading a bootleg Windows 7 (have both 64 and 32 bit versions in case I need to scale down), a few apps like OpenOffice/Mozilla and League of Legends. If I do start with the SSD, I am planning to get an HDD afterwards, and vice-versa. I need a computer ASAP for school (netbook broke) which is why I'm not just saving up for both.

Is a 64GB SSD too little storage for a new (temporary) build?

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 25, 2012 10:20:51 PM

64GB is fine for those stuff... Just dont let it fill up more than 60GB and leave 4GB open...
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:24:55 PM

Haha they're pirated versions that have been written into a CD... Is it still that bad?
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:31:56 PM

Just buy a genuine copy to save yourself mysterious crashes and instability. You never know if they have edited some settings or included a key logger...
m
l
February 25, 2012 11:34:08 PM

I've used it before and it had no issues. I will of course try to squeeze in the extra $100 for the genuine version, just don't know if I can. Would prefer if more people tried to stay on topic and answer my question though in case anyone else has tried this.
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:46:13 AM

Personally, 64GB seems a bit cramped if that's all I had period, but it's possible to make it work if you need to and are really strict about what you install. Really, it's mostly games that will push you over the 60-80GB limit, so if you watch what you're doing there, you'll be ok. I'd recommend 128GB at least for the breathing room, but hey, personal preferences.

If you're THAT hard-up for cash, for god sakes, just try Linux before you pirate Windows. It's a perfectly good free OS that'll suit you great for school and some games (using Wine), and you might learn a thing or two in the process.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 26, 2012 11:02:35 AM

capt_taco said:
Personally, 64GB seems a bit cramped if that's all I had period, but it's possible to make it work if you need to and are really strict about what you install. Really, it's mostly games that will push you over the 60-80GB limit, so if you watch what you're doing there, you'll be ok. I'd recommend 128GB at least for the breathing room, but hey, personal preferences.

If you're THAT hard-up for cash, for god sakes, just try Linux before you pirate Windows. It's a perfectly good free OS that'll suit you great for school and some games (using Wine), and you might learn a thing or two in the process.

He's just ganna play LOL and other low end games, not some 10GB+ game like BF3 and MW3... 64GB is fine and it shouldn't be a problem if he cleans it like cleaning recycle bin or something...
m
l
!