nbklepp

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hello,
So my WD 1TB external hard drive was recently moved from a friend's computer without being ejected first. So, the drive is not physically damaged, but I can't write any new data onto the drive. I am able to retrieve data from the drive (WHEW!). Is there a way to fix the drive - after transfering all of my data of course - to be able to write to the drive again? Thx for any help!

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Open Windows Explorer (Windows-E on your keyboard). Right click on the drive in question and select Properties. Open the Tools tab and click on Check Drive for Errors. You may have to reboot to complete the check. Your drive should be back to normal.

nbklepp

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

So...I completed the error check and my computer said the drive errors were found and corrected. However, I still can't write any new data to the hard drive. When I attempt to write new data to the drive all of the old data is temporarily unavailable (i.e.-no where to be found! Deleted? I don't know). In order to retrieve the original data I have to remove the hard drive and plug it in again. The hard drive, btw, cannot be safely ejected after trying to write new data onto it, as the process of writing the new data will neither complete nor submit to being canceled, and thus the drive is left "in use" according to my computer. So is this a repairable software problem?

TRENDING THREADS