Issue with crysis

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I know this might seem like an innapropriate question for THG but I think it might be relative enough, I have a 9800GT, The game runs fine but I am only able to run the game 32bit, not 64bit because I lost the actual cd and had to download an iso and it wont let me run it 64 bit, do you any of you think that I am losing some performance only being able to run it 32bit?

AMD X2 5600+
9800GT EE 1024MB 256bit
4x1GB ddr2 800
Sata drive, 32mb cache

I know my system isn't up to date but I had to build a budget system..

Is there much difference between 32 bit and 64 bit crysis? would my performance go up if I ran 64bit?

thanks!

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I noticed that I still have 2 gigs of ram left when im in 32 bit, if I was running 64 bit wouldnt that 2 gigs be put to use??? I was also reading that crysis runs 20-30% better with 64 bit in different ways but I am not sure that sounds strange, that's why im in here just getting different opinions, anyway I hope that there is some kind of difference lol

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
did you notice the 64 bit using more memory then the 32 bit??? there has to be a difference, I know crysis would utilize more then 2 gb of ram..

did you check your system stats at the time while you were running the game? fps check, memory & cpu usage check?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I dont recall the benchmarks showing much of a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit. One issue I experienced is with the 32 bit version, Crysis would complain about my lack of a page file and would CTD after 30-60 minutes.

The 64 bit version on Vista or Win 7 (x64) would run happily without a page file. That was about all I noticed between the two so the game must have been using more of the available RAM?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Also, if you have a system that can run crysis pretty good you wouldnt notice much difference because its fast enough to run it either way, im just trying to get my fps up because on high settings I average 25-30 so thats why im curious if at 64 bit i would be able to notice a difference

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I wish I could get another but I would need to get a new motherboard and psu, I have to work with what I have right now, I just put it all together for like 300$ lol.. on a big budget here.. Anyway don't you think I will get even a slight increase going to 64 bit? I mean having a spare 2 gigs that could help wouldn't that help just a lil?

Thanks for your feedback

bartleby3004

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
u should just try it out bro there is no real way of tellin obviously, but i have always found out the best way to figure it out is to just try sorry for bein so blunt but hey good luck bro

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
no , its cool, im just trying to decide if its worth buying the game all over again, which I guess is what I need to do, I was only able to run 32 bit because of the iso that I have because I lost the cd.. your cool no need to apologize, I do appreciate your help

thank you

actually he wasn't far off (for 64 bit systems)
version of win 7 can handle 192GB of memory, not sure about Win Server 2008 R2
the 2^64 (16EB) is the max the 64bit architecture can use in theory
right now AMD (idk about intel) is only using 48/64 bits for the address space traces giving 2^48 (256TB)

i think the max memory is like this for Win7
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional/Ultimate: 192GB

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
wow, this all is great information, thank you. Also I thought the limit for a 32 bit os was like 3.5GB all including video memory, im not sure about that but just what ive read from a few different sources.

But yea in 32 bit windows 7 it would show 4gb of memory then in (3.5 usable) or somethen like that. I am kind of sad that there's not much difference between the two because I was hoping for a performance difference in crysis, I just purchased my computer too, but i only spent like 280$ on it because I wanted to save up for something really nice, I also have heard that crysis uses more resources then it should, that or its a bit bugggy sometimes, with a computer that should be able to handle it great doesnt handle it as good, like I said I have read this stuff from different sources that arent professional, and as you can tell i'm not typing very good right now, im on my lunch break, when I get home I might fix it.. lol

Anyway thanks a lot everyone!

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
is there anything else that can make crysis run better other then cpu and ram? a SSD drive would that make my fps go up? if not, is there a cheap motherboard I can buy that has 2 pci-e slots so I could buy another 9800GT? I cant afford to buy a new cpu, plus I just purchased all of this, how much do u think a motherboard with sli would run? Do they have am2 motherboard with 2 pci-e ? are they expensive? I really gotta work with what I have now or else it will all be a waste

thanks

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I just feel sad I cant run crysis good :( I can get good fps but then when I turn and face somewhere big with lots of stuff going on my fps drops a lot, I can run everything else fine but not crysis, I was totally satisfied with my computer until I started playing crysis lol. even with low settings I still get that skip, it makes like 5-10 fps difference between very high and low unless I crank the resolution down a lot, I even have the settings that the game recommends, not what it requires..

somethens not right.