Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC rebuild will not launch into Win 7

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2010 1:52:14 AM

I currently have the following items in a Dell PC, none are the original parts from the PC

PC Power and Cooling 470w PSU
AMD Athlon x 2 6000
OCZ 2 GBs DDR2 800 Ram
Asus 9800GT
creative labs sound card
belkin wi-fi card
Samsung 500GB HDD running Win 7 64bit

the only thing original left is the DVD drive, mobo and the case

I recently purchased a new case and a new motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

took all the above items plus the DVD drive and stuck it in the new case

everything powers on fine, lights, fans work, etc., the gigabyte logo comes up on the screen and windows 7 starts to launch
then as the little Windows circle appears and the screen state Win 7 is launching, an error message appears on an all blue screen for a split second and the PC restarts

the message appears far too quick for me to see what it says, when i go into Win 7 repair it cant repair the problem

BIOS states everything is running fine, CPU temp is fine, etc.,

I placed all the items back in the DELL and had no issues. The OS and HDD are brand new, just recently got them from newegg.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? Am I missing something?

More about : rebuild launch win

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 2:14:42 AM

You sir need to reinstall windows. The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Would POST, the little orbs would start to spin, stall, start again, and then BSOD. Just do another install over the existing one (all documents and applications will go to windows.old) and you're good to go.
Related resources
February 18, 2010 2:19:38 AM

jack_attack said:
You sir need to reinstall windows. The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Would POST, the little orbs would start to spin, stall, start again, and then BSOD. Just do another install over the existing one (all documents and applications will go to windows.old) and you're good to go.

I thought that was the issue and when I placed my Win 7 DVD in the PC would go into that Windows background screen and just hang there. I will try it again tomorrow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 3:52:48 AM

I've seen that happen a few times, it actually did it with my ASUS P5N32 board. Just pop the disc in, go make a drink and call your mom. When you're done with those things, it will ask you what language you wish to install. Worked for me anyway.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2010 4:16:46 AM

Yeah, needs a fresh install. I'm not sure why, but I've seen when it needs awhile to pop up.

When I was installing the RC when it first came out, it did that and I went to use another comp to see what the problem was. When I got back it was ready and waiting for me.
m
l
February 20, 2010 2:32:20 PM

ok i did a fresh install and everything works fine...but my hard drive now states its 465GB rather then 500GB

I thought I created a partition by mistake but in "disk management" it lists just one in my C drive plus a 100MB reserve

how do I get those 35GB back?
m
l
February 20, 2010 3:29:01 PM

Best answer selected by ct1615.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2010 4:54:27 PM

That's the system reserved partition. If I remember correctly, that data is your recovery data, the exact same things of the DVD. I'd leave it alone :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2010 5:03:52 AM

Well that partition has more to so with GUID, but that's not really important.

The rest is the fact that drive makers use what I call "metric" units of measure for kilobytes and stuff such that 1,000 bytes = 1 kilobyte and so on and so forth to gigabytes.

Thing is, that when you format it, you're really using 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte and so on.

This didn't used to matter in the past, but with bigger and bigger drives this 24 more per unit adds up rather quickly, especially with say a 1.5 terabyte drive that really comes out to more like 1.3 terabytes...
m
l
!