Sign in with
Your question

Noob needs advice on i5 build

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2010 3:10:06 AM

Hello guys. I'm a noob when it comes to building my own rig, so I need your advice and suggestions. I want a decent gaming computer. Budget is about $800 to 900. I'm in the Philippines so parts will be slightly expensive. Here it goes...

Processor: Core i5 750
MOBO: Asus P7P55D
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770
HD: Seagate 500 GB SATA
RAM: DDR3 2 GB 133 Mhz Kingston 2 pieces <<< Do I really need 3 sticks or is 2 enough?
DVD Writer: Samsung WHT/BLK 22x SATA
PSU: ??? <<<Will really need your help here. Don't wanna see blue smoke or fireworks.
Fans: ??? <<< How many do I really need?

That's about it. Will really appreciate your advice. Thanks! :hello: 

More about : noob advice build

February 18, 2010 3:18:26 AM

I think a very good PSU choice would be the Corsair 450VX ($55), or the 550vx if you plan to someday crossfire. You have a pretty efficient system--so even the 450VX gives you some wiggle room. Its very high quality and very efficient, and comes with a 5 year warranty that few other manufacturers match.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(corsair is pretty good about honoring rebates--I just got one back today and it took about 2 months)

Other good PSU manufacturers that I would suggest are Antec, Seasonic and OCZ.

Edit: you shouldnt really need more than 1 fan-- A good power supply will have a bottom mount fan to suck air through the case and your system should run pretty cool.
m
l
February 18, 2010 3:19:35 AM

You want to go with two sticks of RAM. The i5 750 has a dual channel RAM controller, not triple channel. You need to make sure the RAM you pick runs at or below 1.65v since anything above that can damage the onboard RAM controller.

You need to stick to known quality PSU manufacturers. What brands are available to you? You should stick to Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, or OCZ.

You should find a case with at least a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust fan. There isn't really a specific number of fans that is recommended. That depends on your case design. What cases are you considering?
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 3:41:00 AM

The OP is in the Philippines, so Newegg isn't an option. I would also avoid the Antec Basiq (BP series) power supplies. Those are the bottom of the barrel models that aren't up to the same quality specs as their other models. The BP series aren't even 80+ certfied.
m
l
February 18, 2010 3:55:36 AM

Good call-- I missed the geo comment. Deleted post.
m
l
February 19, 2010 3:36:35 AM

@deadlockedworld
Thanks for for the PSU suggestions. I'll look into the 550. I'm sure that the shops here have Corsair PSUs.

@shortstuff_mt
"You need to make sure the RAM you pick runs at or below 1.65v since anything above that can damage the onboard RAM controller." Thanks for the heads up. I checked and the RAM in my build runs at 1.5v. The word "damage" made me check. lol
m
l
!