Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB (HD103UJ) - Will Not Spin Up

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hi - my first post in ages so be gentle please :)

I have been using the above drive for some time now but about 2 weeks ago it suddenly started to play up. By this I mean Windows 7 (64-bit) refused to see it. It has been used as an external drive and I have it partitioned into 3 equal sized partitions.

When I switch it on it starts to spin up, it then clicks a few times and then spins down. I have tried it in several caddies and in fact bought a new one in the hope that I could kick-start it into some action - it didn't work :(

The drive is almost full and I have some very important stuff on it, although not life threatening :)

It seems it is a hardware problem but not sure what to do - I would like, if possible, to bring it back into life myself.

I have looked around the net as to what to do but not really sure whether or not, for example, if it is pcb problem, head problem or something else. I have described my symtoms carefully so hopefully there will be a definitive solution.

Could some of you experts out there point me in the right direction please towards repairing this drive?

I would be most grateful.

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I would be prepared to do this to see if that will kick it into some action. However I would need some help in sourcing one.

I have removed the cover off the drive to watch what happens when it is first switched on. The head moves back and forth quickly as it starts to spin up (the clicking noise) then it stops and then winds down - all over a period of 10 seconds from when it is plugged in.

I had hoped this was a common problem easily fixed - these drives have had excellent reviews but I haven't read a long term review yet. I have to say too that over the years, I have owned numerous drives and have not had one go wrong like this before, not allowing me to clone it or copy my data first before it goes dead for good.

Maybe you point me in the right direction as to where I could source a PCB and how to match it up with everything else in the HDD casing and maybe someone could give me more information about this problem?

Cheers

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Thank you for your responses but I am really looking for help from someone who has experienced this specific problem. HDD failures come in different guises - I believe this is a relatively common problem but how do you sort it? You say arms - do you mean the head unit?

I also need to know where I can acess specific parts for my drive model

Anyone please?