Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to decide on i7 860 or i7 930 upgrade

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
April 25, 2010 11:21:04 PM

hey just wanted to get some input on a upgrade im deciding on.right now im running core i5 750 with ud4p board,4 gb corsair, and 2x 5850.im thinking of buying a new board with the n200 chip[classified 200] and buying another asus 5850.also thinking of buying a i7 860 at the same time.im running three 1920x1080 monitors in eyfinity also.i cant decide if i should scrap the 1156 and go i7 930 with the x58 classified or just save a lil money and stick with 1156.do you think the i7 860 will increase my vantage score,which as of now is only 18,000 cpu,which is hurting my gpu score which withoverclocking i can get 28,000.this is my first time posting so let me know if im doing anything wrong with the section or anything like that.thanks guys,hope to hear back soon

More about : decide 860 930 upgrade

April 26, 2010 12:16:59 AM

You would benefit from a core i7 930 only if you got a second 5850. The extra pci-e lanes makes it a dual x16 config instead of x8 giving more bandwidth to the cards. And is only needed for the intense setups(like 3 monitors and high settings :p  )

If you were only going to keep one video card and mostly use the system for gaming, I would recommend staying with the i5, unless you only care about benchmarks.
April 26, 2010 12:32:23 AM

im currently using 2 asus 5850's.i want to upgrade to 3 but would have to purchase a p55 board with that n200 chip to do so.thats why i dont know if i should spend that money or just scrap the 1156 and go for the x58 board and proc.thanks for the reply
Related resources
April 26, 2010 12:40:22 AM

also running 3 monitors at 5760 x 1080 also so maybe an upgrade to x58 is in order?
April 26, 2010 1:09:44 AM

Yea...I didn't notice you already had 2 5850s. The 1366 would give you the best performance if you get 3 of those 5850s.

If you have to buy a new mobo anyway, I think it would be better to upgrade to 1366. You could also keep the dual channel memory since triple channel doesn't really help much on i7.
April 26, 2010 2:19:56 AM

thats the thing,if i buy say a 3 way sli board on the 1366 platform,im going to have to buy a proc,ram,plus the board.if i go with the classified 200 for 1156,i can have tri-fire while only having to buy the board and extra card.i want the i7 860 also,but that can wait til i have the extra card and new board,where if i go 1366 i have to purchase everything up front to get my rig going again.damn!! decisions,decisions
April 26, 2010 2:55:42 AM

Yea, maybe it's better to just get an 1156 board that can handle those cards. I didn't realize that some could handle the bandwidth to each of the cards(at least it looks like that on some newegg boards).

1366 would be more expensive and(now it seems) that it isn't the best when handling 3 cards. If you wanted 4 way SLI then 1366 is the way to go(get out your life savings for that setup :D  ).
April 26, 2010 3:03:33 AM

hey thanks haserath,i appreciate your replys.dunno what im going to do just yet,might just sell my 5850's and get 2 470gtx so i can avoid the whole issue of three cards completely.have a good one
April 26, 2010 3:08:27 AM

No problem. Just trying to help out on a tough decision.
April 26, 2010 3:54:06 AM

nizz42 said:
hey just wanted to get some input on a upgrade im deciding on.right now im running core i5 750 with ud4p board,4 gb corsair, and 2x 5850.im thinking of buying a new board with the n200 chip[classified 200] and buying another asus 5850.also thinking of buying a i7 860 at the same time.im running three 1920x1080 monitors in eyfinity also.i cant decide if i should scrap the 1156 and go i7 930 with the x58 classified or just save a lil money and stick with 1156.do you think the i7 860 will increase my vantage score,which as of now is only 18,000 cpu,which is hurting my gpu score which withoverclocking i can get 28,000.this is my first time posting so let me know if im doing anything wrong with the section or anything like that.thanks guys,hope to hear back soon


Here's your article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200...
April 26, 2010 4:04:44 AM

hey thanks crashman,thats exactly what i needed to read.dunno how i missed that article with all my searching
April 26, 2010 4:06:11 AM

I7 930 at MicroCenter for $199.99 if you have one near by.
April 26, 2010 4:08:46 AM

yea thats my dilemma ,i live in nj rt by a microcenter and cant decide to upgrade now or keep p55 til the new 2011's come out next year some time.prices are great there
April 26, 2010 4:46:35 AM

nizz42 said:
yea thats my dilemma ,i live in nj rt by a microcenter and cant decide to upgrade now or keep p55 til the new 2011's come out next year some time.prices are great there


I'd keep your i5-750 and forget about 3DMark Vantage. In real games the i5-750 will match any i7 you can throw at it, clock for clock, and it overclocks good too.
April 26, 2010 5:02:57 AM

^+1.

The 8x/8x bandwidth of the UD4P motherboard won't hurt two HD 5850s in CFX much. Besides, the i5 750 only performs slightly worse than the i7 860 and it beats the i7 920 sometimes, simply because the i5 has a higher Turbo Boost.
April 26, 2010 5:12:38 AM

nizz42 said:
yea thats my dilemma ,i live in nj rt by a microcenter and cant decide to upgrade now or keep p55 til the new 2011's come out next year some time.prices are great there

I am in NJ too which MicroCenter you go to I end up haveing to go to the one in PA on Lancaster AVE.
April 26, 2010 5:19:14 AM

i think i will keep the i5 for some time then,maybe go 860 a lil later.and use the money for a classified 200.kind of need another 5850 because eyefinity is really straining my rig but id like to continue using it.or should i look at nvidia and consider switching to a dual 470 or 480 solution.i asked that same question in gpu section and heard alot of switch to 470 or 480.im still undecided
April 26, 2010 5:19:59 AM

i go to the paterson nj store.
April 26, 2010 5:33:10 PM

nizz42 said:
i think i will keep the i5 for some time then,maybe go 860 a lil later.and use the money for a classified 200.kind of need another 5850 because eyefinity is really straining my rig but id like to continue using it.or should i look at nvidia and consider switching to a dual 470 or 480 solution.i asked that same question in gpu section and heard alot of switch to 470 or 480.im still undecided

Hi
As you say that you will get another 5850, why dont u get a 5870 and run it with the rest of the 5850s. you will surely gain more boost.
April 26, 2010 6:10:30 PM

If I may be so bold, is there any reason you want to upgrade an already fine system other than getting a higher Vantage score? Unless you're in a remake of Brewster's Millions I can't see why you're looking to shell out again.

What exactly is wrong with your current rig, and what are you doing with it? There may be better options than what you've listed (i.e. Rampage III Extreme instead of X58 Classified), or alternatives not considered - a clearer idea of what you're looking to achieve will help here I think.
April 26, 2010 10:59:27 PM

LORDSZONE,as far as 5870 goes i thought it would have to run at same speed as my 5850's to work in xfire.i am overclocking the 5850's so maybe that would work,but then that extra money could go towards a new board or proc you know? to LEPHURONN,i just want to get my rig fast enough to max out games in eyefinity res which right now is impossible in quite a few games.vantage isnt my only reason,i just put that in there to see if that score sounded right or not.i have looked at the rampage 3 extreme that was actually my other choice because it has pci spacing that would work with tri-fire in my haf 932.the big bang series and the gigabyte ud7p are great 2,i just think you need a 8 slot case to fit the 3 dual slot cards.the rampage 3 is sweet,i was leaning towards the classified 200 because it has the pci x1 or whatever its called on top of the graphic card slots for my recently purchased sound card.if its that much better then the classified 200,i could always sell my sound card.what do you think? thanks for replys
April 26, 2010 11:05:32 PM

LORDSZONE i have looked into going the x58 route also,i just figured i could buy a new board with the n200 chip for p55,which i recently found out scales almost as good as x58,and keep my proc and ram so i can afford the extra card for now.i want to get i7 860 also but im trying to figure out best order to make purchases.ive read the 2011 platform with quad channel memory and pci express 3 is going to be available first quarter next year,thats why im considering just staying 1156 til then.do you have any opinion on staying ati or going with new nvidia 470 or 480 to avoid buying new board all together as i wouldnt purchase 3 of them.thanks
April 26, 2010 11:08:50 PM

edit: last post was supposed to be to LEPHURONN in responce to your question.let me know,thanks
April 26, 2010 11:10:34 PM

2 5970s then for Quadfire should get your Eyefinity res up, and you probably won't see too much of a performance drop running on a P55 board.

If you do then go X58 and you don't have to worry about 8 slot cases because you can only do Quadfire, hence you'll only have 2 dual-slot cards. So if you get a R3E your sound card can then either go in the x4 PIC-E slot or the unused x16 PCI-E

Oh, and don't bother with NF200 chips - performance increase is miniscule and they pump out a lot of heat.

All in all, I personally wouldn't buy any new CPUs or motherboards right now and just wait to see what happens with Sandy Bridge next year.
April 26, 2010 11:16:24 PM

thanks ,dual 5970's would be awesome,i just have to figure out prices on everything and try to come up with best game plan for performance and cost also.that option sounds tempting as i really like that board[R3E] and dont want to give up my sound card,as i love the audio im getting out of it.do you have an opinion of the nvidia cards,im mostly worried about heat and power comsumption on them,which are both through the roof compared to my current system
April 26, 2010 11:24:26 PM

nizz42 said:
thanks ,dual 5970's would be awesome,i just have to figure out prices on everything and try to come up with best game plan for performance and cost also.that option sounds tempting as i really like that board[R3E] and dont want to give up my sound card,as i love the audio im getting out of it.do you have an opinion of the nvidia cards,im mostly worried about heat and power comsumption on them,which are both through the roof compared to my current system

Well, here's a few videos of the cards max power consumption and noise(furmark tests).
480 http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_...

The videos let you hear how loud those cards actually get... it's a little too much for me
April 26, 2010 11:29:50 PM

wow the power comsumption is really high and there are loud. even though there not in a case im sure they sound pretty lound while installed also
April 26, 2010 11:32:38 PM

i can spell,lol,dunno how i butchered that last post
April 26, 2010 11:34:13 PM

Personally I have no interest in this generation of Fermi cards - the small performance gains are not worth the heat, power consumption and cost.

We'll see where Nvidia go from here.
April 26, 2010 11:39:06 PM

yea im thinking the same.maybe when nvidia releases new drivers and the sli scaling gets better ill consider them,but for now im most likely going to stay with the radeons.now just have to decide on which card combo to go with for eyefinity,which really stresses my system.most ive asked have said to stick with my i5 for now and possibly upgrade cards for my eyefinity lag,which i believe is good advise so ill go from here.thanks for all the feedback
April 28, 2010 4:17:37 PM

saaiello said:
I am in NJ too which MicroCenter you go to I end up haveing to go to the one in PA on Lancaster AVE.

I go to the Paterson store.
May 2, 2010 5:28:24 AM

860 is better choice then 930
May 2, 2010 1:06:31 PM

foxmulder13 said:
860 is better choice then 930


Rubbish. It depends entirely on the platform you're getting.
!