Total: 5 votes (3 blank votes)

• Card
  • 50 %
  • Adapter
  • 50 %
  • Other
  • 0 %
February 9, 2010 9:06:17 AM

So, I finally picked up my third Samsung 2343 23" 2048x1152 beauty. My local shop was out of active DP to DVI, so I just picked up a passive DP to VGA instead.
After a very long day, I finally get home. I spend an hour moving stuff around and the desk itself so I can fit the third monitor on it. Perfect fit. I connect all cables.

It's on. Three monitors all at once giving me 6144x1152 resolution. I'm awed. 2048x1152 60Hz was looking crisp even on analog connection (had issues with an older monitor, so maybe it was an isolated case and I was just being skeptical about analog at high resolutions). In desktop mode, all three monitors work.
I open up Catalyst to switch to eyeinfinity mode.
It tells my there is a problem with the DisplayPort output, and the frequency may be an issue. I ended up switching it to 640x480 resolution and try engaging the third monitor to desktop mode again(3 individual displays instead of one large display), but I get the same error message. I uninstall my video drivers and reinstall the latest drivers form the ATi site directly. I attempt to reengage the third monitor once again. Same error message. I switch the VGA and DVI between between monitors, and yet again, no VGA.

This was a passive adapter. Could I have somehow fried it, or would it be an issue with the RAMDAC or DisplayPort on my 5770 itself?
I'm not the original owner of the card, thus getting warranty from the ever so horrible Sapphire will be hell (coincidentally, I traded my 4870 and pocket change from the ever so lovely XFX for it) . I can no longer retest the passive adapter because I have returned it (and it takes me 4-5 hours just to get to my local shop and back. The GPU is seated properly. It's the first gen Sapphire 1GB 5770 with box cooler (as opposed to 512MB-1GB egg shaped coolers).

So, it would seem my options are to buy a second 5770 (my PSU/MOBO will support it) and use the outputs on the new card and run them in CrossFire (favorable option, but it'd take a while because none of my local shops have them in stock), or buy an active adapter (only one locally available is Sapphires $140 version, at extremely limited quantities). Shipping in either part will take ~2 weeks if I were to buy it online.

Please help me. I've spent over 4 months saving, $600 in monitors and ridiculous amounts on my rig in the hope to play on three monitors, and I don't want some POS adapter or card to stop me when I'm so close. I was hoping to have this for the new Alien vs. Predator game, but I guess I'll have to wait anyways (the torrent will take a while though, so I guess I can wait). :D 

More about : 5770 fried

February 9, 2010 9:19:08 AM

I thought the first gen boxed model of the Sapphire 5770 came equipped with 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xdisplayport. Are you at all able to get your hands on an HDMI ---> DVI adapter?

For reference I'm assuming you have,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^that is the first gen sapphire 5770 I am familiar with
February 9, 2010 9:32:00 AM

dassox said:
I thought the first gen boxed model of the Sapphire 5770 came equipped with 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xdisplayport. Are you at all able to get your hands on an HDMI ---> DVI adapter?

For reference I'm assuming you have,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^that is the first gen sapphire 5770 I am familiar with

Yes, that's it.
2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 1xDP.
To use Eyefinity, you have to use the DisplayPort.
Quote:
dude wow. No one is reading that :p 

Maybe I typed a little too much... Forgot that the poeples of the internets had short attention spans. =D
Happy now?
Related resources
February 9, 2010 10:27:35 AM

So were you able to get the displayport --> VGA adapter to work in desktop mode or were you only trying all the monitors out using DVI?
February 9, 2010 5:20:17 PM

From the sounds of it your issue is that you are using a passive display adapter, from what i have read they MUST be the active adapter.... costing $100+
February 9, 2010 5:42:29 PM

I was trying the DisplayPort. I was using 2xDVI and the DP all at once.
A passive DisplayPort to VGA does work, it just uses one of the cards RAMDAC's. It was working... for about 10 minutes. Once I tried turning EyeFinity on, it stopped working. I then tried switching monitors, switching drivers and turning EyeFinity off but it no longer worked.
February 9, 2010 5:59:45 PM

Does the Display Port work with no other monitors plugged in?
February 9, 2010 10:14:06 PM

I have also read that eyefinity is NOT working with crossfire right now. Someone can chime in if they have heard different. But you can use only ONE card and get eyefinity working and thats with all three monitors running off that one card.
Quote:
okini55 wrote :

dude wow. No one is reading that :p 

I read it.
February 10, 2010 3:46:20 AM

With the new Catalyst drivers, EyeFinity now works with CrossFire, however you can only use the video outputs on a single card.

@XD_dued: If you do a quick google, you'll see that many people are using EyeFinity with a passive DP to VGA.
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...
They also appear to state passive DP to HDMI also work, however none of my monitors have HDMI.
!