Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 965 + Coolermaster Hyper 212

Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2010 12:13:24 AM

Hey guys,

I wanted to overclock my CPU (eventually) and was recommended the coolermaster hyper 212.

Well, from reading these great forums, I realize I need to apply thermal paste (artic silver seems to be popular) before installing the coolermaster.

My question is, after removing the Stock AMD heatsink, do I need to wipe off any of the old thermal paste on the CPU etc...?

Well, let me know. I have a coolermaster CM 690 case and plan to more 120mm fans for a even cooler internal temperature.

Thanks again.
a c 145 à CPUs
April 26, 2010 12:17:20 AM

Yes you need a clean surface on the bottom of the Heat Sink and the top of the processor.
April 26, 2010 12:45:49 AM

Thank you sir.

Should I just wipe it with a cloth? Do i need a special spray or towel?
Related resources
April 26, 2010 12:52:34 AM

xxenergyxx said:
Thank you sir.

Should I just wipe it with a cloth? Do i need a special spray or towel?

There are several specialized cleaners out there for it but imo they are just another needless product to make money. I typically use Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and I have even used nail polish remover which is basically the same thing. The closer to 100% alcohol the better and make sure you use a cloth the wont leave any lint behind.

And just to be mr. obvious put the alcohol on the rag first not the chip.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 2:22:22 AM

I also used isopropyl rubbing alcohol when I cleaned my chip before putting on a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. I think I used coffee filters at someone's suggestion.
April 26, 2010 3:21:35 AM

Oh ok cool thanks you guys, so much help.
!