Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 27, 2012 5:14:36 PM

Hello,

I have some questions about thermal pads.
Do thermal pads dry out (when) ?
Do I have to replace them when taking of the heatsink of the graphics card?
Please check following picture, so that you know what I mean.
Can I also use thermal paste on the chip in the picture (the one with the green thermal pad)?

http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/...

Please reply, thank you.

More about : thermal pads read

November 27, 2012 6:32:43 PM

The green thermal pads serve two purposes other than conducting heat from those chips. They conform to an irregular surface without air gaps and prevent any contact with the pins on the chips. Best practice is never reuse any thermally conductive pad or compound-too easy to get air gaps that do not conduct heat. The critical component in the picture is the GPU, that's where you need thermal compound. If you are careful there is really no reason not to use thermal compound on the chip. Try just a small dab in the center of the chip and let the cooler spread it when installing back on the board.
November 27, 2012 7:14:16 PM

t53186 said:
The green thermal pads serve two purposes other than conducting heat from those chips. They conform to an irregular surface without air gaps and prevent any contact with the pins on the chips. Best practice is never reuse any thermally conductive pad or compound-too easy to get air gaps that do not conduct heat. The critical component in the picture is the GPU, that's where you need thermal compound. If you are careful there is really no reason not to use thermal compound on the chip. Try just a small dab in the center of the chip and let the cooler spread it when installing back on the board.

So you think I should try it with paste on the black chip, where the pad is (i do not mean the GPU) ?
!