Sign in with
Your question

Games freezing randomly with Radeon 5970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2010 11:23:14 AM

Hey guys so i bought a new system in November, Ive been having problems with games freezing ever since the 9.12 catalyst driver update and even with the 10.1 update the problem doesn't seem to go away.

It happens without warning, like ill be playing and then all of a sudden the computer stops responding and i have to do a manual restart and sometimes after the restart windows cant start up and i have to manually restart againn at which point i will be told that windows was unable to start up previously.
When the game freezes(or right before it freezes) my speakers also let out this high pitched sound(though it could just be cos my speakers are really old, but it only happens when my game freezes or is about to freeze)

So is it a driver problem or a defective graphic card?? Is there anyway for me to find out exactly what the problem is? I really need help.
Any help is fully appreciated.

The games im having problems with are:
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
EVE online
Prototype
FIFA 10

My system specs:
ASUS P6T SE motherboard
Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz
6 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM
HIS Radeon 5970
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black 7200RPM Harddrive
Windows & Home Premium 64-bit

Thx again for any help :) 
a c 189 U Graphics card
February 9, 2010 1:54:58 PM

what about your temps? did u check it?
PSU? what model? brand?
February 9, 2010 1:58:18 PM

Heat seems a likely culprit, here. But agree - do need temps taken, and details on your PSU.

Also, overclock that i7! If you don't have the stock cooler, that is. They overclock like champs.
Related resources
February 10, 2010 11:13:26 AM

My PSU is Cooler Master Silent PRO M 850W
And i have 1 20030mm in-blowing fan at the front, 2 12 cm in-blowing fans at the side(only 1 working :p ), one 20030mm fan out-blowing fan at the top and 1 12025mm out-blowing fan at the back.
I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 casing

So how do i check my temps
Thx
February 10, 2010 1:44:14 PM

One thing you might try to do is go into ati overdrive and if it's not enabled, enable it. Then turn the manual fan control on and set it to something high so that the fans just run. Try 60% or something.

I've just started tweaking this, but it seems to keep my card at a decent temperature while I play. Have yet to get much longer than a couple of hours with it but it's worth a try.

You can turn off the manual fan control when you are not gaming so that it's not so loud. ALso be prepared to turn your speakers up because the fan is loud heh.
February 10, 2010 2:51:51 PM

elcirith said:
My PSU is Cooler Master Silent PRO M 850W
And i have 1 20030mm in-blowing fan at the front, 2 12 cm in-blowing fans at the side(only 1 working :p ), one 20030mm fan out-blowing fan at the top and 1 12025mm out-blowing fan at the back.
I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 casing

So how do i check my temps
Thx

I highly doubt that your fans are 20 meters (20030mm= 20.030m ~= 60ft) in diameter. You mean either 200mm or 230mm. Not that it matters, really.

You can use ATI's overdrive utility to take a look at your temps, but make sure you do it under load (use furmark or something). It's worth taking a look at your CPU temps, too.
February 11, 2010 7:43:13 AM

sry typo
February 11, 2010 7:47:15 AM

i can enable Ati overdrive but cant use manual fan control....
February 11, 2010 8:01:24 AM

nvm i figured out the manual fan control :p 
S, wat temp range should be good and wat would be considered overheating?
!