Sign in with
Your question

Motherboards with good spacing between PCIe x16 slots

Last response: in Motherboards
September 30, 2010 6:28:14 PM

The article on the revised $2,000 build states that Tom's was looking for "a super-stable board with two PCIe x16 slots that were at least three spaces apart. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any within our budget. Giving up our three-slot spacing desires, Gigabyte’s X58A-UD3R was the default choice."

What's an example of a board that has that kind of spacing? I'm looking for a higher end x58 board to run a dual SLI set up, and I'd prefer that the two cards not be right next to each other.

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2010 6:56:00 PM

The Asus Rampage III has alot of 16x slots nicely seperated.. Costs a pretty penny though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2010 7:28:46 PM

If you can live without USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps even after paying a good amount for a motherboard, then check out the EVGA classified series (namely the 3-way classified or the 4-way classified).. If you are sure of never going for a 2+ video card setup, i'll recommend the MSI BigBang XPower X58
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2010 5:09:08 AM

As was mentioned, the other alternative is to go with a better case, eg, the Silverstone Raven 1 or 2 and perhaps vid cards that exhaust hot air from the case. That little bit of separation gets expensive.
m
l
!