Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I was wondering if i should get water cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2012 12:54:54 AM

I was wonder if i should get water cooling at all and if i should then what kit or individual parts i should buy: preferably near or under 200 dollars. On a totaly unrealed note i would also take recommendations for a gaming headset and a power supply im looking at getting the CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W.

My case is a thermaltake chaser mk-1
Parts that im getting in the near future:
Processor: I5 3570k 3.4 ghz (3.8 overclocked)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics card: XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SSD:o CZ Vertex Plus R2 VTXPLR2-25SAT2-60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Another option is to get some more regular fans.
a c 90 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 3:02:37 AM

I've come to like the XSPC kits as a basis for water cooling. As to whether you should go to water, that's your call but do read this sticky first as it will answer most all of your questions about what water cooling is, how to and a myriad of other good facts about water cooling http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-...
Enjoy
m
l

Best solution

a c 176 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 5:22:48 AM

Well if you only plan to overclock to 3.8Ghz then there is no need for watercooling, but I can completely understand just wanting it anyway.

I also advise getting one of the XSPC Raystorm kits, its the place where it seems most watercooling enthusiasts start from. I myself have the RS360 kit on my rig (very similar hardware to yours actually) and its been pretty good to me.

You case will support a 240mm rad at the top and a 120/140m rad at the back, another 120mm rad at the bottom of the case.

The TX650W is a good PSU, though if your considering Crossire/SLI you will need to upgrade to the 750W.
Ausio equipment is not my strong suit, but I can give a good recommendation on the Razer Carcharias.
Related resources
November 28, 2012 10:10:05 AM

Should i buy a kit or should i buy the parts individual and i if i buy the kit are all the parts included links would be appreciated?
m
l
a c 176 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 10:40:20 AM

Make sure to read through the sticky Friedman linked too, it will explain a lot of things about water-cooling and covers what you are asking right now.

If you get a kit, everything you need (except coolant with the XSPC kits) will come provided. You will need to get your own anti-bacterial/algae measures though (I recommend a kill coil).

As for whether you should fully custom build your loop or get a kit is up to you. On your budget, I think a kit is the best option.

Try FrozenCPU, its one of the better places to get watercooling parts in America.
m
l
November 28, 2012 10:46:36 AM

I have looked there two questions: i know what the kill coil does but where do you put it in your hosing and what is not included in the xspc kits?
m
l
a c 176 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 10:49:41 AM

You can put in anywhere that comes in contact with water, whether that be inside the tube or in the reservoir. I have it in the reservoir.

XSPC kits dont come with any coolant, otherwise you should have everything you need. Plain distilled water you can buy in most supermarkets will be fine to use.
m
l
November 28, 2012 10:54:21 AM

How about a gpu block?
m
l
November 28, 2012 10:59:13 AM

One last quick question if i buy an xspc kit which one theres: raystorn ex and rasa from what i found which one is a good starting kit also if i chose to get led toobing any suggestion to brand, length, and what would go with my case. Thanks for all the help by the way.
m
l
a c 176 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 11:01:57 AM

That you will have to buy on your own, kits tend to CPU only loops.

I will admit once we get into this kind of thing I am not very knowledgeable, but I think if you start adding more blocks you will need a stronger pump than the X20 750 that comes in the XSPC kits, by extension you would also need to buy a reservoir. You will also need to get a bigger/more radiators to deal with the added thermal output, then fans to go on those radiators. It will end up costing a bit.

Also IMO it wouldn't be worth water-cooling a 7850. The block itself will end up costing approximately half what the card is worth (if you can find one, water blocks for mid-range cards arent that common).

Get the Raystorm RX240 kit. Raystorm is a better CPU block than the Rasa and the RX is a better radiator than the RS. 240mm since that's the max size your case supports.
Tubing should come with the kit, but if you want different tubing you will need to make sure it fits the barbs on the XSPC kit (ID of 7/16" if I remember correctly). I use Primochill tubing, though all the big names are fine. There's a brand comparison thread somewhere around here, though I don't know where. I advise 2m (6ft) of tubing, as that will give you plenty of leeway to stuff up when you cut it.
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:29:13 AM

How about my other question:
One last quick question if i buy an xspc kit which one theres: raystorn ex and rasa from what i found which one is a good starting kit also if i chose to get led toobing any suggestion to brand, length, and what would go with my case. Thanks for all the help by the way.
m
l
a c 176 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 11:31:54 AM

Edited my above answer with it.
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:54:23 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:19:38 PM

Do you like all your parts in your build and could you reccomend a power supply.
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:09:52 PM

Best answer selected by thefallan.
m
l
!