Thief 3. My Comments.

Loads of other people are, so I thought I share my comments about Thief 3.

The Clint Eastwood:

It's a thief game, and has kept pretty true to the originals. I had massive
fears after playing Deus Ex: IW. But Now I see that they were unfounded.
They've kept the atmosphere and not dumbed things down.

The voice Acting, they've got Stephen Russell back. Wouldn't have been the
same without him.

A lot of the changes they have made are good. I like the city idea, I would
have like to have seen it expanded on a bit more though. I.e. a bit more
interaction with the occupants, the odd chat to pick up a bit of
information.(maybe in Thief 4 should there be one)

All in all I'm loving it.

The Lee Van Cleef:

The most annoying thing is this new trend games seem to have of saving game
setting and save games to your My Documents folder. I've got My Documents
set up the way I like it,and the game has it's own folds on an entirely
different hard drive, it should save to it.

I don't like the way Garret looks. I was hoping for him to look like he did
in the cut-scenes in T1&T2, i.e. black hooded cape. Ok, you could argue that
it would be realistic for a thief to go on jobs dressed like that, but you
could also argue that it's not too realistic to find a ship filled with
zombies. Of course the lack of a cape could be down to the limitations of
the engine.

Where's Garret's Sword gone? I never used the sword much in the first two
games bit it came in handy from time to time.

The Eli Wallach:
Garret shouldn't have a scare that size on his face. For us who know how he
lost his eye(most of this group) we know that he would have received an
injury that would cause a scar like that. :)

--
Morgan.
----

Mail: Morgan.Sales@ntlworld.com
Webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales

Morgan Sales wrote:

> Loads of other people are, so I thought I share my comments about Thief 3.
[...]
> The most annoying thing is this new trend games seem to have of saving game
> setting and save games to your My Documents folder. I've got My Documents
> set up the way I like it,and the game has it's own folds on an entirely
> different hard drive, it should save to it.

I haven't installed yet... but is this set in one of the Thief .ini files?
I *hate* games doing that, especially ones with big save games. There's a
_reason_ my games all live on a separate partition...

--
Chris Herborth chrish@cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

> The most annoying thing is this new trend games seem to have of saving
game
> setting and save games to your My Documents folder. I've got My Documents
> set up the way I like it,and the game has it's own folds on an entirely
> different hard drive, it should save to it.

Ideally, the game should act like another other app and let you choose where
to save files, though I realize that a "save file" dialog might seem too
"office-like" for a game.

Having said that, if a game does hardwire a location, I'd much rather it be
in "My Documents" rather than the older tradition of throwing everything
into the game's directory under "Program Files." I'd really like to get to a
point where we don't have to login with admin privileges just to play a
game, and this is one of the practices that was preventing us from getting
there.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:41:51 GMT, "SpammersDie" <y@y.yyy> wrote:

>> The most annoying thing is this new trend games seem to have of saving
>game
>> setting and save games to your My Documents folder. I've got My Documents
>> set up the way I like it,and the game has it's own folds on an entirely
>> different hard drive, it should save to it.
>
>Ideally, the game should act like another other app and let you choose where
>to save files, though I realize that a "save file" dialog might seem too
>"office-like" for a game.
>
>Having said that, if a game does hardwire a location, I'd much rather it be
>in "My Documents" rather than the older tradition of throwing everything
>into the game's directory under "Program Files." I'd really like to get to a
>point where we don't have to login with admin privileges just to play a
>game, and this is one of the practices that was preventing us from getting
>there.

Looks like you could change the save game location by editing the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGamePath variable in
the registry.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> Looks like you could change the save game location by
> editing the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly
> Shadows\SaveGamePath variable in
> the registry.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Morgan. (Who until that bit of the game he's just done, didn't think T3 was
as scary as the other two)

Chris Herborth <chrish@cryptocard.com> writes:

> I *hate* games doing that, especially ones with big save games.
> There's a _reason_ my games all live on a separate partition...

Maybe an inbetween solution would work. If the game sees that it's
being installed into the default "C:\Program Files\SomeGame", then it
will save games to the my documents directory, otherwise it saves into
the same directory as the game.

--
Darin Johnson
Luxury! In MY day, we had to make do with 5 bytes of swap...

Morgan Sales wrote:

> The Eli Wallach:
> Garret shouldn't have a scare that size on his face. For us who know how he
> lost his eye(most of this group) we know that he would have received an
> injury that would cause a scar like that. :)

So the scar is probably there for those who don't know, and need (or want) some
kind of explanation for his eye more easily done by a scar than some other kind
of exposition.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Anders Thulin wrote:
> Morgan Sales wrote:
>
>> The Eli Wallach:
>> Garret shouldn't have a scare that size on his face.
>> For us who know how he lost his eye(most of this group)
>> we know that he would have received an
>> injury that would cause a scar like that. :)
>
> So the scar is probably there for those who don't
> know, and need (or want) some kind of explanation for his
> eye more easily done by a scar than some other kind of
> exposition.

Well yeh, but if they wanted to offer some sort of explanation, I reckon
they'd have been better off doing a intro to the game containing a quick
recap of the first two, a "Previously on Thief" type thing similar to what
they did with Max Payne 2.

--
Morgan.
----