My hard drive will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatom

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So my dad recently got a new computer, but he says that the tower is to big for him. So I tried to switch the hard drive into the older computer, which has a smaller case. The older computer said the was no boot drive found. So I made sure the cables were plugged in correctly. Then is said it was recommended to boot is safe mode. It said there was an error with the start up and needed to repair it, which I did. Every time I did it said the repair was unsuccessful and it restarted. When I tried to boot normally it got the screen where it says windows is loading, then a blue screen would flash and it would go to the screen where it gives you the option to access the settings and then would load to the screen recommending that I load in safe mode. So I put the drive into the newer computer case and it worked. Anyone got any ideas why it is not working. Both computers had windows vista on their hard drives, but the older one uses an AMD CPU where the newer one uses a Intel CPU.

Solution
If I am understanding, you just swapped the hard disks and tried to boot them without reinstalling the operating system. This will not work most of the time unless the systems are very similar. It will not work in your case because one vista install has AMD motherboard drivers loading, and the other has Intel motherboard drivers loading. You will need to reinstall after swapping the hard drives.

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
If I am understanding, you just swapped the hard disks and tried to boot them without reinstalling the operating system. This will not work most of the time unless the systems are very similar. It will not work in your case because one vista install has AMD motherboard drivers loading, and the other has Intel motherboard drivers loading. You will need to reinstall after swapping the hard drives.

Solution

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Absolutely. You don't even need to worry about wiping the drive before you start since that is easy to do during the linux installation itself.

***I'm guessing you're going to use a friendly distro with a nice pretty GUI installer.

vatom

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

What is a frendly distro?

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Ubuntu & Fedora are popular distros. Keep in mind administering a Linux system takes some learning & you won't be able to play DirectX 10 games on it, because the Windows emulator, Wine, doesn't fully support it. If you've got Vista install DVD just stick with windows unless you've got a specific reason to go with Linux.

vatom

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Its my Dads computer and I don't think he will play games so I will install it then, do you think he will be able to use it, I mean is it hard to learn the basic stuff about it?

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
A friendly Linux distribution is one that assumes that the user is not familiar with Linux and thus provides a ready-to-use system with little intervention during the installation and gives you clear instructions and guidance at every step.

For instance, Ubuntu and Mint Linux are considered very user-friendly. Slackware is not. I've installed Ubuntu for people with low to moderate computer experience and most have adapted quite readily once they were shown how to accomplish basic tasks. I've been looking at switching to Mint since it provides a more complete experience out of the box by using some closed-source software by default, like codecs for mp3 and Adobe's Flash player. Ubuntu and Debian require that you at least change some minor configuration details before installing such software. Mint means less work for me, I think.

vatom

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Okay thanks guys, the reason why He got a new computer is because the one he had was lent to one of his workers who left his company. After a while he decided to use the computer, but doesn't know the password his employee set, so he got a new one. Is there any way to find out the password or install Linux on it? I am probably going to install Linux onto a flash drive and do it that way, but maybe you guys know of an easier way?

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

This is not the site to discuss bypassing passwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.