$1100 gaming/media center pc need help

emane21

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within 3 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: $900-$1100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:playing games like Civ4, AoE3, and Diablo3 when it comes out. Also want to hook it up to my hdtv and watch movies from netflix to my tv.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Whichever.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US
PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferences

OVERCLOCKING: No/not sure what it is good for or how to do it....so no.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No clue what this is.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to run this on windows 7 64bit. I am not computer savvy at all but I would like to learn how to build one myself as I have read you can get a better gaming/media center pc for less if you build it than if you buy it together.
I had this computer in mind from newegg : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227178
I dont know if it would accomplish everything I would like it to do though so I could use ALOT of guidance. I dont know the right questions to ask or the right information to give in order to help with my build so please take it easy on me and have some patience.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

That one isn't really an HTPC. It's more of a strict gaming PC.

Here's what I'd build:

CPU: X4 955 $161
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $85
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Antec Earthwatts 500W Combo for $120
GPU: HD 5770 $153 after rebate or HD 5850 $290
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $23

Total: $852 w/ 5770, $989 w/ 5850.

I put the option there for the GPU. The difference between the two cards is a lot of power. The 5770 is great for gaming resolutions below 1900x (extremely important for determining the card). However, it can run lower powered games at higher resolutions. The games you said you play are the lower powered games. The 5850 would be necessary if you wanted to play more FPS games at 1900x.

If you don't need the 5850, and use a lot of storage, pick up a second HDD for more space.

You might also want to check out my specs (click on the "More Information" link below my name, and select "Member Configuration"). I built mine as an HTPC with the potential to play games. The 8 GB of RAM I got was at the same price as 4 GB now days due to a lot of deals. The other main difference is the board and GPU. Mine is a dual PCIe 2.0 slot board (used for adding a second GPU in Crossfire, combining the power of both) and the GPU. The GPU was about the same price when I bought it as the 5770 is now, which is more powerful.