General Use and programming build opinions

skwo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hi everybody.
My old pc is suffering and going to die soon I think. So I wanted to do an "upgrade" with a very low budget. Since I'm not citizen of US or Europe I, I don't use dollars and euro hence I can't name my budget in dollars. Ill just write a build that fits my budget and you will comment and suggest better things (if there are any).

So here it is:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core S1156 2.8Ghz G9650 BOX
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
RAM: 1x Kingston 2048MB DDR3 1333MHZ
Case: Raidmax Apex w/o PSU
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W Bronze
CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 PRO

I wont change PSU cause its new (I bough it few days ago in hope that it will help my old PC). About hard-disks, I'm going to use the two I have now (ExcelStore 80GB and Hitachi 160GB both IDE), and LG DVD Rwirter with SATA.

Hardly I can update to Core I3, not sure if its needed tough.
I could build a cheaper system based on Dual Core E6500 (lga775 socket) but then there will be no way to upgrade in future.
Note: I'm not an overclocker and most likely wont OC the CPU.

What do you think? Have any suggestions?

Thanks!

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
where are you from? maybe one of us is from your native country and help you.
I won't recommend on that cpu, I can hardly find any reference to it. it seems that this cpu is weak, I would recommend exploring the amd route.

skwo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks!

About AMD, I never used amd, all my cpus were intel. AFAIK AMD suited motherboards comes with integrated ATI graphics cards, and ATI have a list of known issues under Linux OS (that is my primary OS), this why I'm looking at Intel. Also AMD based system will cost about the same (maybe a bit cheaper).

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
dude, using linux here, you can mount an nvidia card on a amd system, that doesn't matters, no one forces you to use the ob gpu, you can get the latest ati cards too which works fine under the latest (10.2) closed drivers.
my 3450hd moblity works fine with the oss driver and worked fine with the closed source.
my previous comp was a turion x2 tl-60 which was excellent.
do you're self a favor, ditch the urban legends and look at the issue with an open mind.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

he isn't from the us, so combos are out of the question, would recommend and amd build here, I'm pretty sure you can get a am3 triple core here. if someone won't post one here, I'll try and post one later as I need to go.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Yeah, I did that config for myself, as much as for Skwo ... Just to see what the cheapest "respectable" INTEL "student" box (thickish client box) I could muster ...

AMD probably *IS* the way to go (wherever he is) but, as an excersize, I just wanted to sketch out a mainstream INTEL system with similar performance to what he showed us.

If he does go with INTEL, I'm guessing that he wants a WolfDale/775 proc and MB. I "gave him more RAM than he wanted, too, but his spec was less than I would recommend to anybody.

Hey, SKWO? ... Where (exactly/city) are you going to shop from? It's fine if you are in East Asia or India, or Greater Persia or the Middle East or wherever ... We'll still treat you nice ... it would just help us visualize your market channels and you VAT, etc. Like, for instance, if you live in China, we certainly don't have to factor in the cost of the OS (grin) !

= Al = An Equal Opportunity Help Forum.