Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclock i3 VS No over i7

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 26, 2010 6:23:32 AM

Hi I'm a graduate student, Korean. (so please ignore my grammar problem if you find..)

I always use MATLAB for signal processing simulation.

Here is a Question.

Which processor will be faster?

Overclock i3 530 4.6GHz VS No over i7 860 2.8GHz


I'm not interesting with graphic work.

I really want to know that... help me please..

More about : overclock

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 6:57:23 AM

You mean an i3 530 at about 4.1 - 4.2 GHz; coz the 4.6 GHz clockspeed you mention would be almost impossible to sustain in a stable desktop or workstation environment.
I don't know how much is MATLAB thread optimized. But it is safe to assume that, at such a high clockspeed, the i3 would be faster than the i7 860.
Share
April 26, 2010 7:16:23 AM

ksampanna said:
You mean an i3 530 at about 4.1 - 4.2 GHz; coz the 4.6 GHz clockspeed you mention would be almost impossible to sustain in a stable desktop or workstation environment.
I don't know how much is MATLAB thread optimized. But it is safe to assume that, at such a high clockspeed, the i3 would be faster than the i7 860.


All right. An i3 530 at about 4.1 - 4.2 GHz also have good performance. Some people tested super-PI 1M for i3, result is under 10 second(!!).

OK. I was stupid. i7 processor that I bought last week was too expensive! Maybe i3 system is half.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 7:33:14 AM

kindlySK said:
All right. An i3 530 at about 4.1 - 4.2 GHz also have good performance. Some people tested super-PI 1M for i3, result is under 10 second(!!).

OK. I was stupid. i7 processor that I bought last week was too expensive! Maybe i3 system is half.



But you could also overclock the i7. Also the i7 has more cores which may help you if your computations are multi-threaded.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 1:37:01 PM

if u want a dual core get the i3 and overclock it... if u want the quad core i7 860 and overclock it...

NEVER GET THIS DUAL CORE i5.... its seriously not worth it...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2010 5:34:25 AM

abhishekk89 said:
NEVER GET THIS DUAL CORE i5.... its seriously not worth it...


There are no dual-core i5's. i5 and i7 are both quad-core, i7 just has HT enabled.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 5:12:21 PM

amnotanoobie said:
There are no dual-core i5's. i5 and i7 are both quad-core, i7 just has HT enabled.



what's core i5 661 or the core i5 650 then ?? a quad core ??

i should have said DON'T GET THE DUAL CORED i5's
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 5:28:00 PM

why not try amd the good for the money.
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 5:28:43 PM

why not try amd there good for the money.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 2:31:53 AM

Best answer selected by kindlySK.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 5:25:15 AM

i3 hits 4.0 on stock voltage, why couldn't it get 4.6 stable(air)?

TBH in most dual core optimized games you can't beat a max OC(air) i3, but its not worth it compared to overclocked i7 though considering the abundance of quad games.
m
0
l
!