Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed for final WC layout

Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2012 11:57:05 AM

I am nearly done for parts with my water cooling setup and wanted to get some advice on the loop and if there is anything else I may need or missing before adding the coolant and finalizing. It features 2 360mm rads with fans and a single pump/res.

Should I add another 360mm rad or another pump assembly like below? I have seen systems like this with no more added and it seemed to be fine on their builds but wasn't sure.

Any advice on the loop layout below?

The parts I will be cooling are:

2 Intel Xeon CPUs

1 eVGA GTX 680 FTW+

The parts I have in my case for cooling are:

2 Black Ice SR-1 360mm radiators with 3 Noiseblocker PL-2 fans on each in a pull configuration (fan spokes facing inside case venting hot air from the radiator)

2 EK "Full Nickel" CPU blocks

1 EK Nickel GPU block

1 Swiftech 655 pump attached to a Bitspower 150 res with Bitspower "Mod Top" and "Mod Kit".

Various Bitspower compression fittings for all connections.

Loop plan:

Go out of the top of the Bitspower 150 res into CPU #1, out of CPU #1 into first 360 rad, out of 360 rad into CPU #2, out of CPU #2 into second 360 rad, out of second 360 rad into GPU, out of GPU back into the Bitspower 150 res.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 3:47:02 PM

Loop order doesn't matter when it comes to temps.

Curious as to why you got Xeons (let alone 2 of them) instead of a single i7? And if Xeon x2, why a gaming card instead of a workstation card? And I'm assuming you are getting ECC RAM?
November 28, 2012 8:00:56 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Loop order doesn't matter when it comes to temps.

Curious as to why you got Xeons (let alone 2 of them) instead of a single i7? And if Xeon x2, why a gaming card instead of a workstation card? And I'm assuming you are getting ECC RAM?

It's a very high-end workstation build. There are 2 Xeon 3985w CPUs with an Asus workstation mobo. The number of cores and threads matters greatly for what I use, they make the most difference above anything else. No ECC and no Tesla nVidia card though due to the advice from others using the same software I do. I do professional 3D art with ZBrush, Vue Infinite, etc. and the people that actually wrote the programs have stated on their site and in on-line classrooms what they found works well. I specifically asked about ECC memory and was told it did not matter at all with their software and they didn't even use it instead opting for Corsair. Same goes for Tesla over the GTX 6xx series. They compared the two and actually found for all practical use they work just as well or better in some cases. However, if you were ONLY using one specific program, say Maya or Photoshop Video editing, then ECC memory and a Tesla would be fine for a dedicated task. But when you are using different 3D programs to get your work done and also using it as your main computer for other tasks, then this is the best way to go from what others have said they use.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 8:13:22 PM

Sounds like you've done your homework on the build, so great work in that regard. Should be a great build for it's intended use.

But yes, the loop order should make no difference in temps as you would see very little difference between having the components in any configuration...likely less than 1-2C variance. You could test and see to determine personal preference, although I would confidently say that regardless of the configuration, your load temps (and sustained load temps) would be lower than normal air cooling.
!