RAM speed VS Capacity

dsshhm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
hey guys I am looking at building a new gaming rig im pretty solid on everything but my ram from what i have seen i can get 2.8GHz but only 4Gigs as my cap or I can get 1.8GHz 4 gig sticks and have a larger cap I know 4 gigs is a lot right now but im just thinking in a few years how it will hold out.

Welcome Newcomer! :)

In most instances 1600 MHz (12800) is plenty good enough for gaming. The "value" of RAM is High Speed + Low CAS latency. The difference between 1600 -> 1800 MHz DDR is added cost and 2-4 FPS.

The minimum amount of RAM recommended for x64 Windows is 4GB (2x2GB) or for X58/1366 MOBO's 6GB (3x2GB).

Tested is memory the RAM Mfg has confirmed that worked on the particular MOBO in ADDITION to Certified RAM that the MOBO Mfg has confirmed & certified that works {XMP} listed RAM:
1. Certified RAM: MOBO Mfg {e.g. ASUS, GA, MSI, etc} tested and certified; including BIOS XMP recognized.

2. Tested RAM: RAM Mfg {e.g. Corsair,G.SKILL, Kingston, etc} tested and confirmed to work properly with a particular MOBO.

3. Pot Luck RAM: Seeing is believing, it is nearly impossible to know what RAM will or won't work. Further, most people cannot determine which RAM to choose correctly 9/10 times. So to "pick any RAM" is Poor Advice.

dsshhm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

thank you!

ok so I'm kind of a noob :p so i should look at ram like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231351?
also "X58/1366 MOBO's 6GB (3x2GB)." are you referring to a motherboard there?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I would say 4G RAM is the minimum for any new build. 6G to 8G would be better for going a few years without having to add to it.

2. The Tested RAM is a crap shoot. Those manufacturers take one speed of RAM and then they test it at higher speeds, but it does not always work at the speeds they say it will and then blame the motherboard manufacturers. Frankly they need to be sued for fraud.

^ This goes under the heading of "3. Pot Luck RAM" as stated above. You need to determine your MOBO 1st and then choose Certified or Tested RAM afterwards.