Sign in with
Your question

HP Laptop: Intel i3 330m or AMD Turion Dual Core M520?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2010 8:15:14 AM

Hi everyone!
Great community here! Just came across it while comparing 2 processors on Google!

I am in the market for a laptop and I have narrowed my choices to 2 laptops. Both are manufactured by HP.
Having owned 2 HP notebooks in the past 3 years, I am pretty satisfied with them, however the HP notebook with the AMD Turion Dual Core that I bought 3 years ago has had heating problems. The fan just never stops buzzing and its annoying.

Anyhow, I have been told the new AMD Turion 2 Dual Cores are better than its predecessor.

I have narrowed my choices to 2 laptops and they are listed below.

HP Pavilion DV6-2128CA - Price - ($699 with raincheck. Actual price $779)
2.3GHz AMD Turion II dual-core processor M520
4GB DDR2
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
15.6” LED-backlit widescreen display
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 graphics 128 MB Dedicated
MORE INFO ON LAPTOP - CLICK HERE

HP Pavilion dv6-2130ca - Price - $749 (on sale now. Actual Price $849)
2.13GHz Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor
4GB DDR3 Memory
500GB SATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce G105M 512 MB dedicated Graphics memory
15.6” LED-backlit widescreen display
MORE INFO ON LAPTOP - CLICK HERE

The only difference between the 2 laptops are
- Processors. Which one is superior AMD or INTEL? Which one does not over heat?
- DDR2 and DDR3 Memory
- Graphics. NVIDIA G105M 512 Dedicated versus 128 MB DEDICATED ATI RADEON 4200 HD

I'd like some opinions on what to buy and why is one superior than the other.
My usage is basic web surfing, streaming movies. Gaming would be once in a few months depending on a good game release. So I am not looking for a gaming laptop. However, a better graphics card is always a plus.
I am looking at buying it tomorrow, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 8:24:31 AM

The i3-330 with the DDR3 would be vastly superior. As for the graphics, they're both integrated so gaming is pretty much out of the question. The 4200 would be better but I would still go for the second choice.
m
l
April 26, 2010 8:35:22 AM

bige420 said:
The i3-330 with the DDR3 would be vastly superior. As for the graphics, they're both integrated so gaming is pretty much out of the question. The 4200 would be better but I would still go for the second choice.

Cheers for the reply!
I am wondering how would the ATI Mobility Radeon 4200 HD be better than the NVIDIA GeForce G105M graphics card? The Nvidia has 512 MB memory where as the ATI has 128 MB?
Does the new AMD Turion 2 Dual Core have heating issues? I would hate for the fan to go off all the time.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2010 9:40:23 AM

The Core i3 330M would be a faster processor, the Turion II M520 only manages to competes with Core 2 Duo T7000s AFAIK. The performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is minimal in laptops, sometimes DDR2 can be faster because of much lower latencies, although you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

As for the graphic card, memory size on the graphic card nowadays is a very small factor. Previously, a few years back, the performance of a graphic card was mainly determined by the amount of memory. This is the reason large memory sizes are a marketing gimmick and thus why you have for example a GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2, which cannot even compete with something like an 8800GT 256MB (G80), although the average consumer would be fooled into getting the 9500GT, mainly due to it's memory size, which could cause negative effects in some situations. However, on notebookcheck.net, the GeForce G 105M is only a bit better than the HD 4200, despite having four times the memory. As for the Turion II M520 having heat issues - I wouldn't know, although I do know that my Athlon X2 QL-65 will gladly run at 90°C while playing something like F.E.A.R., and that the laptops which came with the original Turion X2 normally came bundled with fault nVidia chipsets, which caused the GPU to overheat and potentially kill the computer.
m
l
April 26, 2010 12:11:26 PM

Lmeow said:
The Core i3 330M would be a faster processor, the Turion II M520 only manages to competes with Core 2 Duo T7000s AFAIK. The performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is minimal in laptops, sometimes DDR2 can be faster because of much lower latencies, although you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

As for the graphic card, memory size on the graphic card nowadays is a very small factor. Previously, a few years back, the performance of a graphic card was mainly determined by the amount of memory. This is the reason large memory sizes are a marketing gimmick and thus why you have for example a GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2, which cannot even compete with something like an 8800GT 256MB (G80), although the average consumer would be fooled into getting the 9500GT, mainly due to it's memory size, which could cause negative effects in some situations. However, on notebookcheck.net, the GeForce G 105M is only a bit better than the HD 4200, despite having four times the memory. As for the Turion II M520 having heat issues - I wouldn't know, although I do know that my Athlon X2 QL-65 will gladly run at 90°C while playing something like F.E.A.R., and that the laptops which came with the original Turion X2 normally came bundled with fault nVidia chipsets, which caused the GPU to overheat and potentially kill the computer.

Cheers for the reply!
So I take it that you would go with the HP laptop with the Intel i3 processor over the AMD Turion 2.
m
l
June 7, 2010 7:11:43 PM

Lmeow said:

Core i3-330m is faster than Turion II M520 especially in multi-threaded application. In some applications, Turion II M520 is faster than T6600 / P7450 and sometimes equally matches P8400. So the direct competitor should be T6600 or P7450 and not the old Merom processor.

Turion II M520 is cooler than Turion I so there should not be any heat issue.
m
l
!