Can a single SSD replace multiple HDD's for Digital Audio Production

mikehell

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
It is recommended that for low latency Digital Audio Production, you should have multiple HDD's.

Eg. one HDD for the O/S and programs, another one for the audio files and yet another for sample libraries.

My question is, could a single SSD do the job as effectively (or better) as multiple HDD's?

Solution
In terms of latency then yes the SSD will take care of your needs. In terms of capacity perhaps not so well. Also there is a school of thought that suggests that write intensive task can reduce the life of the SSD though this may not be as bad as it sounds in real world terms.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
In terms of latency then yes the SSD will take care of your needs. In terms of capacity perhaps not so well. Also there is a school of thought that suggests that write intensive task can reduce the life of the SSD though this may not be as bad as it sounds in real world terms.

Solution

mikehell

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Thanks Derek,

I was considering an Intel 520 Series which I believe use the SandForce controller, but now considering a Crucial M4 Series which I don't think uses the SandForce and has a good reputation as well.

Cheers, Michael.

TRENDING THREADS